I just dont understand

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

elfin knows LT is the deebil now.

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

To answer your question:

TIME OF POSSESSION 26:49 - OPPONENTS 33:11

When we led the league in run defense, those numbers were reversed.

3. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

simple sup...............we have the worst MLB in football who runs a 4.9 and can not take on guards..........when AH was playing he made the situation better but without him Sirmon is a total liability. The rest of the DT are avg at best and truthfully everyone except Smith is way below avg and can not handle teams OG one on one..............we are overmatched...........it is also the reason hope has so many tackles.............we have to get bigger and stronger and faster up the gut.............and we need a MLB in the worst way possible.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Great post in general but not wishing to be sexist, doubly so to see such a knowledgable female fan. :thumb:

Maybe you you can spend a little time with my girlfriend & explain a few things (in terms of football of course,I got my own game down just fine thanks).

Whenever we sit down together to watch a game she uses one line more than any other. No matter how patient I am even if I say this looks like a pass or a run we always end up with her saying:'so tell me again,where did the ball go?' :hmm:

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

TJ, we agreed in the off-season that the Titans had at least avg talent on D and should finish no worse than middle of the pack. Well, your reasoning is that our good players are worse and our avg players are bad?

The numbers speak for themselves....and they are HORRENDOUS!!!

You have a valid point about LaBoy (he's an under-weight speed rusher) but not with KVB. He plays both the run and rushes the passer well.

Starks is up and down and sometimes looks LOST but Smith is a solid DT. We have a bad scheme and bad coaching which leads to a BAD result!

It sounds like you're saying we need to draft/sign a bunch of albert's to protect Bulluck because no one our D (including Bulluck) can man up?

If I recall, the Colts DE's don't protect their OLB's AT ALL and Thornton fared quite well there. How come he can't do it here?

How come I'm occasionally seeing Bulluck getting blocked 8 yards out of a play by a single TE? How come Bulluck doesn't look like he can blanket any TE's anymore? He's there to make the tackle, but not to stop a completion. Why?

And dude, not protecting the MLB means the MLB is not gonna make the play. Ray Lewis in his prime could blow through OG's and OC's but even he couldn't hack it a few years ago when he lost him big beefy DT's to protect him. Other teams are able to protect their MLB's with having 2 330lb DT's...how come we can only do it with Haynesworth? That's either bad coaching or bad scheme.

Who do you think CAN play on this team?

But beyond that, there is a simple validation to my point. We have added Thornton, Hope, Finnegan, and Robaire Smith since last year. By all accounts, certainly Hope, Thornton and Finnegan are improvements over what we had last year. How is the defense WORSE!!!???

Bad scheme...bad coaching....bad coordinating!

Gut

6. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Thanks for the responses. I try to look at our players objectively as much as I can, but it is difficult. I think as a fan, I tend to have a bullish overview of our players.

Not watching any other team closely, it's hard to decide what the real issue is. It seems to be other teams are getting things done with similar talent. I keep hearing how great Tony Brown is, and how he should have not been on the street, but is our team's perception that he's great just a microcosm of how bad our personnel is? If we think he's great, then we must truly suck?

For the record, I hate Jim Schwartz. I have since 2003. That's nothing new, but again, I am trying to look at our issues as objectively as possible.

I think very highly of these people on the defense. Maybe my perception of them is skewed by rose colored glasses?

Pac
    Bull
    AH
    Hope
    KVB
    Thorton

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ummm...not exactly!

Sorry, this is not correct and is coaches speak for....EXCUSE!

Tell me how the Eagles are able to run their complicated D and perform at a MUCH higher level (both in effectiveness and stats) when they have a bad time of possession stat too?

You don't go basic, WE go basic because Schwartz can't coach...and that is the problem.

How is it that we are getting blown out by the Jags and know they are gonna just run the second half and we STILL can't stop them. And it wasn't just Fred Taylor...is Maurice Drew the next LT? I think not.

So what BASIC schemes were we running and what 'difficult' scheme were the Jags using since we were tired?

While there is SOME truth to the concept that a tired defense won't perform to MAX ability, that doesn't become a problem is your D stops the O on 3rd down. Of course, you also need to stop them on first and second down just to GET a third down.

And keep in mind, this was their BACKUP QB running the show! There were no difficult schemes...we just got blown out of the building as much as you CAN get blown out.

You are perfectly correct in your last paragraph. Defense and Offense do work together for maximum efficiency, but the Ravens Super Bowl team and the '85 Bears show what can be done with one dominant side of the ball and a single playmaker on the other. It can be done, but not with bad coaching, a bad scheme and a rookie QB.

Gut

8. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

worse because KVB is not playing as well as he did last yr and we have had terrible DT play all yr and our MLB situation is worse this yr than last. Kassell, while slow as Sirmon, was able to man up.............Sirmon is slower and less physical. I think the DL play has fallen far below everyone expectations so far. And this fall off directly effects the LB's, especially the MLB. The only two players playing better are Jones and Hope. Hill has been about the same in my view. The other thing that has killed the D is the poor O play has resulted in this bad D being on the field longer further exposing them to Offenses making bigger plays because they are on the field far longer than they have been. I also think JS has been very slow in becoming aggressive further exposing the D to the run game. It appears he has chosen slow death over a quick painless death on D this yr. All in all it is another 2-3 win yr.

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Maybe that is why Fish wanted a defensive player #3 overall instead of Vince...if you can believe that rumor. Mario Williams anyone?

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I have come to the belief that this is our #1 problem on D (well aside from LT and Hill) and it's not just a question of player ability, although we're not topnotch in that department either.

I was watching one of the Broncos' DE's or in their game against the Steelers and he was so much more active in his attack. Our DE's basically just rush upfield and try to get around the outside using a rip move, but as soon as their initial attack is stopped they don't have a countermove. The Broncos' DE would rip, swim, spin, club, whatever it took to defeat his man. Heck on one play he used the club move and litterally shoved the Steeler OT to the ground. I just don't see any of that from either of our DE's and that has to be on coaches and the techniques their teaching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar