I have a question about our WR situation

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Snookus, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

If a great wide receiver would be underutilized in our system, how did we give the only one we ever had four straight 1,000 yard seasons?

And this was during the good years when we could use the run-first offense. Even with our style you still need a reliable receiver who can make the long first downs if we need them and somebody who can make big plays when they stack up the box. The argument that we don't need a playmaking wide receiver is blasphemy. WHY WOULD WE NOT NEED AN EXPLOSIVE RECEIVER IN AN OFFENSE THAT IS SCREWED ON 3RD AND LONG OTHERWISE.

This is why I advocate the pick of Dwayne Bowe so much. He's a great blocker for a receiver which a #1 priority for us, he is a physical playmaker suited for the intermediate routes (i.e. 3rd and ten), he's a great redzone threat (long arms, tall frame, consistently catches ball in traffic), and doesn't have any character issues as far as I know.

Please post your thoughts on this.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Bowe or Meachem would fit perfectly. Bowe blocking downfield for VY and coming back to the ball. And Meachem would be a Mason Junior IMO. I didn't like us taking Meachem at first, but the idea grew on me.
    Jarrett I liked in college, but he's Mike Williams all over IMO.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

that was a different system

4. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

So I suppose there was just a four year period where we changed up our offense and Mason happened to be there? The last 1,000 yard receiver we had before him was Haywood Jeffires in 1991. I wouldn't keep bringing this up if we hadn't of had some of our best years with him on the team, we went 43-21 during his 4 season span. Which leads me to believe that a legit #1 guy is the best option for us.

5. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Yeah, those were the years of Heimerdinger's "Pound the rock/Vertical Passing" offense. Chow's is more of a dink and dunk system.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that's really not true. we threw more deeps balls in the second half of the season in 2007 than we did the entire 2006 season because we had an o-line that could hold up for more than two seconds and a qb who had the arm to throw the ball past 20 yards. vince just needs to get better at anticipating the deep ball instead of just hurling it up for grabs.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

I don't recall anyone suggesting that the Titans couldn't use a great WR. Every team in the league could use a great anything, regardless of position or the team's scheme.

The problem is, how do you know which WR is going to be great? Every team that drafts a WR in the first round does so because they've invested hundred of hours into watching film, scouting, and analyzing every angle of this player's existence...and everything they've seen tells them that he'll be great. (Show me a WR who "should be pretty good", and I'll show you a third round pick.)

And yet, even after all this exhaustive research by the teams, only 20% of these highly touted WR's live up to expectations, and justify their first-round draft status. 30% turn out to be pretty good, but not quite what the team had hoped for. Another 30% fall far short of expectations, and spend their careers buried in the depth chart. The remaining 20% fail miserably, and are often out of football altogether within 4 years. (And of course, the few WR's that do become great rarely do so in their first year....it usually takes 2-3 years for a WR to hit his stride.)

Yes, Bowe looks great....another Terrell Owens in the making. Of course, it's just as likely that he'll be another David Terrell. The thing is, you just don't know. And personally, if I'm an NFL GM, I'd just as soon use my first pick on something a bit safer than flipping a coin.

8. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Get VY some toys, the D will have problems anyways as long as the schwartzinator is still here. Besides I would sort of like to see a secondary with harper, and finnigan as starters, hill as nickel and it could only be better if LT is long gone, on that subject why isn't he gone anyways. I can only hope it is coming with the recent signings.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

McNair had a connection with two players. Wychek and Mason. Not really sure why. But it seemed evident to me that McNair either had his favorties, or they got open. Hard to say. But I will agree that the offense did open up quite a bit during the MVP years. It became a throwing offense. Which honestly, I did not think McNair was capable of running, he surprised even me with his accuracy as the game opened up for 'em. We had several open sets in the oakland playoff year. Almost abandoning the running game. And it worked.

I think in general the Young offense will spread it around. Not because it's a different offense, but Young's natural talent means he doesn't have to force it unless you are open. So open players will get the ball. Especially when he breaks the pocket. It just seems to favor spreading the ball around. But it makes it more important to have a toy. Because anyone who does get open may not have catches, but can certainly get yards after the catch. We will always have busted plays because of Vince, even if we don't have as many deep balls.

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Given our current situation, CB is a more pressing need, we should not take a WR in the first round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar