I don't get the VY isn't physically tough mentality

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see questioning Young's physical toughness. Young hits his thumb on the helmet on the long completion play. He tries to suck it up on the next play and hands off to CJ. He then walks to the sidelines on 2nd-and-10 with the game tied and the Titans moving towards a score. He wants out-of-the-game and there's where many here question Young's heart.

Does anyone here have any doubt that the next play called would have been a pass? If Young knew he couldn't throw the football because of his thumb, and he throws a pick which costs the Titans a chance to score on that drive, we'd be abusing him mercilessly today.

Having to use a timeout there stinks but I can't be critical of it.

I loved McNair but he sometimes clearly played when he shouldn't have. Being a "warrior" isn't always the right decision. At that point, we can't know if Young could have made the throw.

He trots into the locker room, get's the x-ray or wrap and tries to get back into the game. He comes back out and tries to throw the football. I don't see how anyone can see this as anything but Young wanting to go back into the game.

Fisher obviously thinks Young can't throw the ball. I don't see how anyone here can criticize his decision. A trainer may have told him the tendon was torn. Young must have felt differently. Everything that happens after is inexcusable. He was probably still crying over the boo birds earlier in the game (which I think was as much about the entire offense as Young) and he had another meltdown. He's a diva who obviously isn't mentally tough enough to be a starting QB in the NFL.

As for Fisher, call him out for not finding any answers in getting his defense off the field and stupid penalties. Last time the Titans were "outreached" by whoever was coaching the Redskins, Bud made a comment to the press which seemed to get Fisher's attention and turned the team around. I expect to hear from Bud soon.

• High Five High Five x 5
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Bud needs to wake up and address this team NOW before it's too late.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The idea that he isn't physically tough enough comes from him laying down grabbing some new injury every week. I don't know if it's valid.

His mental toughness is fair game though, as far as I'm concerned.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. amy

amy Starter

Vince isn't tough emotionally. He is like a little boy who does naughty things, apologizes, then expects to be reinstated into the good graces of whoever he wronged. Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way. And I think he went one toke over the line yesterday with his petulance. Who knows how all this is going to turn out; my guess is that he or Fisher, or both are going to be gone at season's end. This whole business has been going on for five years now and it really should end, one way or the other.

5. quagliero

quagliero Teh Awsum

I think I'll be quite disappointed if there isn't a big announcement made today - whatever that may be. I'm pretty sure VY goes onto IR though and is back at his steak house in Texas for the rest of the season.

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Mr. TOUGHGUY threw his shoulder pads into the stands and ran out on his team (wait, no, he ran out on Fisher)...

Either way, no leader should ever do what he did yesterday. PERIOD.

7. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

You know...VY was playing well this year before his leg injury. He was top 3 in passer rating...throwing the ball well and managing the games well.

It amazes me though how quickly he disintegrates mentally and emotionally. I don't buy all the conspiracy theory on Fisher hates VY and has been working against him all this time. That is baseless in my opinion. I think Fisher has been making decisions based on observation by himself and other coaches during the weeks...observation no one else has access to. The results of those decisions don't always work out and that is where Fisher has to answer to his critics, and ultimately Bud.

However, VY imploded again...you cannot be the team leader that a QB has to be by running out on the team OR the coach.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think his physical toughness is pretty irrelevant at this point. His mental weakness is all that matters.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

5 years from now we'll still be hearing about how Jeff Fisher ruined Vince Young's career!! Laughable.....It's never his fault.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Sir_Titan

Sir_Titan Day 1 Titan

Mental Weakness = Vince Young

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar