I don't care for Bulluck but this is ridiculous

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CriticalTheory, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

can't we all just get a long.

2. wg53

wg53 Starter

Funny how when you want to be taken seriously you actually speak like an intelligent adult but all your other posts are trash....but whatever. You will not tell me what I can and cannot post about so get over yourself.

3. smac9

smac9 Camp Fodder

I don't mean to get in the way of your banter but I couldn't let this obvious logical error go. The word "cowboy" is not of African origin. By 1865 the slave trade hadn't brought over any Africans for a long time. The word Cowboy must therfore be an English word used by white slave owners to refer to black cattle hurders, unless of course you are trying to say that Africans kept the plantation records and the etymology of the words "cow" and "boy" are actually African.

I'm pretty sure you'll be pretty mad about me trying to correct you and you'll probably dismiss my comments altogether, but it had to be said.

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

It isn't a matter of trying to minimize African cultural contributions, which are in fact numerous.
    It is a matter of keeping facts straight.

The etymology of "cowboy" goes back to the British isles in the medieval times. Back then, most slaves were white.

Some of the words on your list seem to come from slang usage, which indeed may have been linguistic innovations from decendants of African slaves, but that took place right here in America, so calling them "African" is a rather curious "pick and choose."

Even instances in which a strong case for African influence can be made, such as "banjo" there is room for scholarly debate; did it come from the African "mbanza" or from the Portugese "bandurra" which goes back to Greek and Latin?

Is this a conspiracy to minimize Portugese contributions to culture?

Was "jazz" coined by Jelly Roll Morton (making it American), derived from Mandingo (which I asume is your claim), or derived from French via Creoles?

So if you want to make blanket assertions, back it up with some scholarship.
    I am certain some partisans of ethnic pride will make their cases for an African root for those words, just as etymologists have been tracing the origin of those words to other roots for centuries.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

CriticalTheory,
    Ignorant? I suppose when you are engaged in a job interview and the potential employer asks you a question you don't quite understand you might be better off responding with "what do you mean" as opposed to "what you mean". You can justify your difficulty to communicate all you want and I will agree, if you want to talk like a person from a different planet you have that right but if your intent is to actually communicate (transfer thought, feelings, facts) that most of us can understand we would appreciate it if you speak in the English language. It is obvious you are intentionally being "ebonic" or whatever it is and calling someone pathetic or a fool is ridiculous. Of course saying something totally moronic like "Lets gets something perfectly 180 degree straight here 1st of all I don't have to do anything for anybody on here" is far more pathetic.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

This is a sports message board big shot, not a job interview. You guys need to lighten-up. Some real squares on this board, I swear. :ha:

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Yea, it is a message board. Which means making an attempt to communicate is important as well as showing some respect for others. Contrary to this attitude that "I don't have to do anything for anybody" which is childish, selfish and moronic this should be no different than if we were all sitting around a table having a discussion.
    The comment about the job interview was making two points.
    1. As wg53 pointed out, Critical has the capability to speak as an intelligent adult when he wants to and
    2. If you want respect, show respect. Just because this is a message board there is no reason to show our arse all the time.

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

1. You do realize that came after the fact that posters get heated because he uses "ebonics" (BTW, no one on this board uses ebonics; go get in your car and head for you local ghetto if you want to hear real slang). I don't find anything wrong with the way he speaks on a message board, and if your offended by slang in a casual setting such as this, then you got problems.

2. If your offended, put him or anyone on ignore, or go cry to the mods in the PM box. This whole bull**** needs to stop in football threads man. :sad2:

9. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

BTW, this whole "what words came from the Dark Continent" is silly man. The english language is a mixing bowl of so many different cultures and root words from countless older languages, it really doesn't take 1/2 the posts in this thread to argue over it. Yes, of course theres going to be African roots in the english language; our culture is just as deeply rooted in America as white history. But c'mon now. "Cowboy"? I'm co-signing Slackmaster on this one.

10. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

Unless you just came over here on a boat or a plane then last I checked we are all "Americans" not freaking Africans (since I bet most of the "African Americans" neither have been to Africa nor can name a realative from there) nor are we "Europeans" (since most of us have never been there nor can we name a close relative from there) This racial divide crap is stupid and needs to be gotten over by everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar