i can see the light

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i was trying to fall asleep lastnight and i started thinking about the glory days back in 1999-2000 and it hit me. we're slowly going back to the days when people feared playing us. those were the days when we controlled the clock with a punishing ground attack and a dual-threat qb. throw on top of that a defense that was willing to hit every offensive player on the field every play. allow me to explain myself a little bit clearer.

running game: chris brown is not the future of the running game. dont get me wrong, i like chris brown and have since his days at colorado, but if you cant break tackles and you cant stay healthy, you cant play runningback effectively. having 15 2-3 yard runs with the occasional 15-25 yarder sprinkled in isnt going to cut it. not to mention he is not effective in shot yardage situations.

the future of this team's running game is lendale white. i guarantee he will be the starter by week 8. he get's the tough yards and runs with authority. that was a toughness our entire team embrased when eddie george was in his prime. we will truely be a power running team this year. we brought in a TE coach who specializes in run blocking. i think ahrmad hall will unseat troy fleming as the starting FB. he's is supposed to be a punishing lead blocker and helped cedric benson become a top 10 pick.

quarterback: i dont know what people are worrying about, vince young is a perfect fit for our offense. a lot of boot legs, roll-outs and sprint-outs. we needed a quarterback who can throw accurately on the move.

i hear all of the ESPN analysts talking about tom brady and how he has that "It." vince young has that same "It." they define "It" as being able to lead your team to victory no matter the circumstances. that is what vince young does best. his attitude and confidence are infectous.

another thing that really bothered me was when people compared vince to matt leinart before the draft. they would say things like "matt leinart may not have all of the physical tools, but he's a winner." well, vince was pretty damn good at winning himself. matt leinart had one fourth quarter comeback in his entire career at USC(againt Notre Dame) vince had five , including the rose bowl against broadway matt himself.

defense: we had no speed on defense last year. our linebackers were slow as molasses and our safeties were slow breaking on the ball. our corners were young and inexperienced, both of whom are said to have made huge strides this offseason.

i think the additions of david thornton and chris hope help tremendously in the speed department. i think the added speed will allow us to be much more agressive with the play calling.

the thing that has me most worried on defense is the right end spot and strong safety. i thought odom was going to be an absolute beast last season, especially with the way he played in the preseason. something just didnt click with him. travis laboy improved as the season went along and teams had to account for KVB more often.

is lamont thompson really best suited for strong safety? i mean, his best display of tackling is pushing people out of bounds to save a touchdown. i think he played his best football back when we had him playing NB during '04. which is saying a lot in terms of how little improvement he's made.

we are still working on the defense, and it has yet to be seen how this unit will grow and mature, but the pieces are in place.

overall: if you look back at how this team was constructed around steve mcnair when he was young it is very similar to what we're doing now. a strong power running game, good tight ends, no true number one reciever but a solid group who specialize in their own areas and a strong defense.

i think the front office used the team of the late 1990's as the blueprint of how to construct this team.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

you are right. great post.

3. H Man

H Man Guest

Young Vince Young actually had two 4th qtr comebacks at the Rose Bowl...USC and Michigan the year before.

They have used the same basic blueprint. It'll be interesting to see this itteration of the plan develop.

Yes Grasshopper...you on the path of enlightenment :)

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Amen, let's just hope it starts to come together this year. Even if we only see minor improvement over the last few years (say 6-10 or 7-9), I think we can still all be VERY excited for the next few years.

I know all the pieces probably won't come together at once, but I'm ready to see some progress!

5. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

This is my first post in this forum (woohoo!), though some will know me from other Titans sites.

Anyway, you left out Roos. We had Brad Hopkins back in the glory days, and he made a big difference and helped Steve's development. Can Roos be Young's Hopkins? That's a key question.

6. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I think 6-10 or 7-9 considering our schedule would be very nice and would show a huge improvement over last season.

7. IMO, 7-9 would be an outstanding improvement.

I believe that Roo's will be a key figure in the O-Line for years to coem, he has that aura of decency, he's gonna be around for a long time

8. david givens, is the same type of receiver as derrick mason was too, real quick, shifty, and will catch anything thrown his way, but david givens is a lil faster from what i hear

9. smili

smili Starter

In the good old days we also played to win by a field goal. It almost cost us Superbowl appearance requiring the music city miracle, and while statistically we dominated the raven game, we weren't built to overcome deficits/play comebacks.

I hope we never go back to being as conservative as we were back then. I hope we play for touchdowns and to put teams away - not to win by 3.

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

They stated earlier that wouldn't be any difference between the two safety spots this year. They're going to have the same responsibilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar