Hurry Up and Wait on a Fisher Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

I have a sneaking suspicion that fish is wanting to move on. But, not wanting to put a chill on this season.

If he wanted a long term deal, they could have done it by now. Why leave doubt in the minds of the team?

Just a suspicion...

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I tend to agree with you, and it certainly doesn't give the players a lot of confidence not having him signed. Fisher is a paradox....he really does coach well once the game is on, but the preparation is sometimes very suspect, along with his choice of starting players. It only took us 10 games to finally figure out that we were losing containment on backside pursuit. LT was still getting burned deep into the season. As far as Swartz, I will remain open-minded until this season shakes out. We almost beat the SuperBowl Colts twice, and held them to a very low output in both games. Our defense actually won the Jags game at home. We really didn't do a lot on offense last year, which would help a suspect defense. While we lost some key players, overall I think we have better depth at most positions. Fisher may still be seeking a coaching job where he has more input as to who we draft. I certainly expect a more prepared team this year, and at least a record better than .500.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I actually think Fisher does tend to take mediocre players and coach them up to be competitive. Not that there aren't a lot of notable exceptions to that, but there's also a laundry list of guys he's done it with... remember we used to be known as a factory for DEs, LBs and DTs, and had plenty of teams pick us apart in FA. BUT that is also my biggest criticism of Fish - he doesn't seem to know when to give up on a player. He loves to "create competition", but I'm not so sure the best man always wins out.

Overall I really like him. I like the old-school approach, because if you do it right it still works. But you can't be old-school and play soft - and that's been our problem lately. We've become the old Colts and the Jags are becoming the old Titans. I'd say give him and extension, give it a couple of years to see what Jeff does without Reese, and then we'll know where the problem really was.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I feel quite the opposite on the first part of your statement.

Fisher seems to have a strong first offensive series (maybe we should give credit to Dinger/Chow) and he seems slow to make adjustments during the game.

I also think he puts the best players on the field most of the time with the exception of sticking with vets too long. But one thing I have noticed about Fisher is he'll go with consistency over a playmaker who has mental lapses more times than not. He wants a player he can count on to make the reads and know his assignment. I have a hard time arguing with that logic.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I will also add that if Bud doesn't think Fisher is the man, he needed to make the change by now. I still have '08 and, hopefully, many years to follow, as the time talent and experience come together for the Titans.

The last thing the team needs is to learn a new scheme heading into '08. That's the reason I still think Fisher is the guy if Bud is willing to push a deal along.

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

And I'd add that Bud getting rid of Reese is probably an indication of where Fisher stands with the organization. As long as Fish is Bud's guy, he'll have a place here if he wants it.

This year will tell a lot - if we can see the pieces begin to fall into place (VY developing as a passer, defense becoming more disciplined and aggressive, and a RB emerging) then '08 should be a legitimate playoff run. With our youth it should last if it comes together this year.

7. Lumebray

Lumebray Virtus Et Honor

please sign a new contract we need him and everyone already knows he is one of the best coaches right now in the league.

8. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

he'll be signed dont worry...

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

What your logic behind this?

If you paid attention the the NFL last season and all the coaching moves being made you would not have made this statement.

Jets went from Herm Edwards a well respected coach I think we can all agree with that sort of like Fish. I'm sure he had a plan but hsi plan was not working anymore. They moved on plan half finished or not to Mangini who took a mediocre roster and beat Fisher the first game of the year. He also took them to the playoffs year 1 into his "plan".

Saints went from Jim Haslett a old-school coach sort of like Fisher in that regard and moved on because the Wins weren't there hmmmm.....I wonder how far along Hasletts Plan was along. They hired Sean Payton and handed him a well below avg. Roster. He made 2 very good signings in FA with Brees and Fujita and had a solid Draft a look what happens in year 1 of Payton's "Plan" they went deep into the playoffs.

Some more examples Nolan turned the 49ers around in 2 years and there future is very bright with there solid FA singings and Draft.

Brad Childress has the Vikings on the upswing after one season and with their Draft they will continue to be successful.

It only takes one year to change it around not 4-5 like the Titans are doing right now. Fish doesn't deserve a contract yet he's done nothing to warrant it yet. If we make the playoffs then yes sign me up without Schwartz though please oh yeah right him and Fish are tight. Those guys had to learn a new scheme but it didn't seem to bother them so a new coach would not stunt our growth so to speak.

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I am saying he has game awareness.....he knows the rules (being on the committee), and seems to know when to challenge. I will disagree with you about certain players, as he seemed to give McNair a free reign, to play whenever he felt like it. He will take experience over talent for sure in most instances. Most all games are a chess match, and although you can watch hours of game film, you still have to adapt during the game. Fisher never seems to panic, and we keep them close, with the exception of the Jags game. I have stated this before, but the one thing that irks me to death about Fisher is that he had rather kick a field goal with two seconds left, than take charge of a game early. There is no sense of urgency. We took the Rams apart in regular season jumping out to a huge lead, then coasted. In the Superbowl, it was typical Fisher playoff stuff....very close to the vest, playing more not to lose than to win. It's certainly a love/hate deal with his style of coaching. The only coach I would like to see come here is Belichic. He seems to get more out his players than anyone out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar