Hurry Up and Wait on a Fisher Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Such as?

The zone defense does that in helping the secondary keep the ball in front of them. There isn't a scheme I know of which can make up for a poor individual performance.

Remember this liability issue was ruled on while Fisher and Reese were out looking at Leinart. The moment it occurred, Underwood gets on the horn to McNair's agent who some say didn't relay the information to McNair because he wanted the stink to occur or didn't receive the info in time. Some also say it was Bud wanting to send a message.

Regardless, it was BS when it happened but I don't see how Reese is to blame unless you point the finger at him for not getting a deal settled.

Most claim that was Bud's call and the rest was just going through the motions.

I figure one day we'll know the total truth. Some say it was a power thing between he and Fisher. Some say it was some poor draft choices in recent years. Others point to him relying on a coach's son for a character reference on Pacman.

Most likely, it was a combination of things.

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I agree with most everthing Jeff posted, but the defensive thing still has me concerned. I have asked this question, but never gotten an answer. Does Fisher make the final decision on who starts, or does Swartz? One thing you have to remember though, is we held the Colts in two games to some very low point production, and it might have been lower had LT not blown his coverage. The only game that really got away from us was the Pats. I don't count the San Diego fiasco, or the first Jags game due to the interceptions. So is it Swartz doing pretty good in spite of Fisher or because of him?

As far as Fisher, I think he is a decent game coach, but I see too many mistakes made over and over, deep into the season. I love how he diagrams on his show how we blew this coverage or why this play went wrong....well WTF are you doing all week? Don't you get paid to coach? Fire some assistants if you can't get more production out of these guys. Does it really take 12 games to finally figure out how to take angles for backside pursuit? You really wonder if these guys are watching gamefilm or the latest release on DVD.

3. TitanJeff

From everything I've heard (no links to verify), Fisher makes all personnel calls. Now he may go to Schwartz and ask him who he feels needs to be starting but the buck stops at Fisher.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

This was debated a lot last year when many were ripping their hair out over Schwartz's coaching. Again no links but maybe through Bongo & elfin, I really can't remember it came out that Fisher decides who plays.

A coach may be high on a new guy but Fisher will say mr consistent playsover mr potential.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

If we run the EXACT same plays/scheme we have run the last 3,5 however many seasons, we need Odom or LaBoy to step up and have a Kearse-like or Carter-like season with no slippage in KVB's play to truly be succesful on Defense.

But, Odom and LaBoy won't step up, at least not to that level (I don't think).

I would try more safety and corner blitzes, I'd like to see Griffin off the corner with a 4-5 sack season. More roaming by the LBs, and more LB blitzes, and not only when they show blitz. I would try some CB swaps, and some more double teams with S/CB on one WR, particularly if Lamont is similar to last season. Also, I'd like to see more 5 down line sets as well. Basically I would be more aggressive and random.

I would like to see more of the those type of defensive plays. And I'd rather get burned on a long pass play, at least knowing we were attempting a blitz to pressure the QB, than sit back in a deep zone and get burned anyway.

That's exactly why I blame Reese. He should've had the deal, or a trade, settled prior to that point in the offseason.

6. TitanJeff

They need to because I don't know of any scheme which is successful without getting pressure from the front four.

It's maddening sometimes when someone like Drew Bledsoe, who is a human statue, sits in the pocket all day and picks you apart. You'd think the Titans would bring somebody when the front four isn't getting enough pressure on their own.

But sometimes, such as the two games against the Colts, it worked. Manning didn't have holes to exploit.

The Titans D simply has to do a better job in winning more battles at the LOS. Personal matchups. I don't think bringing someone from the secondary more than a few times a game is going to work.

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

It will be interesting one day to find out who really pulled the trigger on VY. I firmly believe it was Bud Adams. I think Reese and Fisher wanted Cutler, only because Fisher told Shanahan that Cutler was worth trading up for, and they did see a lot of him when they were at the Senior Bowl. They may not feel that way now, but I think at the time they felt VY was going to be a project, and they knew McNair wasn't going to be around. I think Bud also pushed Fisher to give VY playing time, and this caused the riff between him and Volek. Bud wanted Vince on the field ASAP, and this could be why Fisher has not signed yet, he wants more control over things like that, and it's doubtful he will find that here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar