How to guarantee a BCS Nat'l Championship for your school.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by World Peace, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Erick where were you when USC and OSU were getting in the championship games for doing practically nothing? Hell, they get autobids based on name alone. Who exactly do you think deserved to play for the title?

I guess it's alright when USC/OSU/Oklahoma get in for facing nobodies but it's a disgrace when SEC teams do the same thing, except the SEC teams actually win when they get in the big dance.

It's one thing when the SEC teams schedule cup cake OUT OF CONFERENCE opponents, it's another when the whole conference is cup cake outside of 2-3 teams like almost every other conference in the nation.

2. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

how can you say they are average when the two best teams in the nation are in the SEC. for the past few years the SEC championship game has really been the national title game. also, SEC was 6-4 with the highest winning percentage of any major conferance

3. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

erick please tell me what team you support so i can show you how many easy games they played

9-4 in SEC >>>>>>>>> 9-4 anywhere else

4. Finnegan2win

By the way, ask Cincinatti how they felt about finally getting a chance to play a top SEC team. :lol:

Same thing would happen to Boise State in a heartbeat.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

You do realize that Boise played a 1-AA team dont you?

And you do realize that Alabama beat 10 bowl teams dont you?

6. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Alabama would not have won a 16 team playoff for the national championship. I will put my money where my mouth is. They're not that talented.

Also, Bama wouldn't have beaten Boise State. Yeah, I said it. I was in an office pool at work for the bowl games, and I was the only person out of a 22 person pool that picked Boise State vs. TCU. Bama would get caught flat footed more than once against BSU's unconventional, #1 ranked offense.

I'll never forget the first week of the college season, sitting there watching Boise State show up Oregon, then the next week, I turn the channel and Bama is having trouble putting away FIU, That's Florida International University. It was almost halftime and the score was 20-14! How are you going to let a SUN BELT team keep it close in the first half!? Hell, even UT's John Crompton looks like a pro against sun belt teams.

Here's my solution.

No more cupcake games. Regular Season Consists of only conference games.

Conference champions get automatic bids into a national championship tournament. The rest are at large bids. Then... Instead of playing 4 cupcake games, you play a round of 16, 8, 4 and a championship game, which equals 4 games, if you are good enough.

This notion of "Such and Such University" went to a bowl is hogwash. When you say "Bowl team" You are referring to a team with 6 or more wins. The problem with this bowl system is that many of these "Bowl" teams get their wins from Cupcake teams. Being or beating a bowl team means absolutely nothing. It's like saying.. "I've got $100,000 in my bank account" but forgetting to say that Grandma is the one who actually made the deposit. Earning something, and having something handed to you because of who you are, are two distinctly different things.

7. Finnegan2win

Sigh erick.

Bama faced: (1) Florida, (9) LSU, (7) Virginia Tech (week 1), (20) Ole Miss, (22) South Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn, Kentucky, and Arkansas.

Boise St Faced: (16) Oregon (week 1), Tulsa?, Hawaii?, San Jose State?, Louisiana Tech?, Nevada?, New Mexico State? ..etc etc..

Please be real. And you only beat Oregon 19-8 in week one, not exactly dominant either.

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

If you are going to use Boise beating 4 bowl teams in your argument, then you cant dismiss Alabama beating 10 bowl teams. Basically, you have no argument because everything you bring up about Alabama (bowl wins, 1-AA win, etc), I can also apply to Boise State. But, what I can apply to Alabama, you cannot apply to Boise state. Boise state did not beat as many ranked teams as Alabama, thats a fact. Alabama had the 12 toughest schedule according to the Sagarin rankings, Boise state had the 98th toughest schedule. Again, you have no argument.

In saying that, I am all for a playoff, and if there was a playoff, Boise state should have a chance. But that isnt the system we have, and the system we have isnt a mystery. If Boise wants to play for the national title, they cannot play the 98th toughest schedule.

9. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

10. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

... And they beat the number 1 defense in the country, who had beaten 6 bowl WINNERS and on paper was better than Florida. You are a stats guy, go look up those stats. What is your point? Alabama beat a freshman QB who never played in any meaningful college game and got a championship out of it. You don't think Boise State would have destroyed Texas w/ a freshman 1st time playing QB?

The BCS is setup to discredit non BCS teams. BSU/TCU game proved one thing. It proved that the BCS didn't want to setup another top tier program to get beat by a team that doesn't make as much money for them as other schools do.

I'm sitting here thinking to myself. Okay, the game last night was pointless, let's see a real national championship. Bama vs. Boise State but the BCS wouldnt allow that because they don't want what happened to Oklahoma to happen to Alabama because it destroys their psuedo-aristocracy/ SEC / Big 12 is better than everyone else in college football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar