How to fix this mess of an OLine

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

one of them things the press is supposed to inform about

sadly the Titan press is just mouthpieces for the organization.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Two things to understand. First, we have 3 young players on the OL whom we can reasonably expect to improve. Levitre and Oher are not likely to get better. They can play better but their skills, strength, experience will likely not improve over time.

Second, who or what are the problems? Are we getting physically beat? mentally? Is it a particular player or what? Gotta know the problem before you can fix it.

We actually have a 3rd problem. For 2 years in a row we have signed a 'high quality' OL to fill a whole and it hasn't worked out so far. So any solution asking the same guy (who signed Levitre and Oher to large contracts) to sign more vets is like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Re-signing Roos to a short term contract (1-3 yrs) could do wonders (though now coming off injury). At worst he's our swing tackle and a nice backup. At best he's a starting OT and locks down one side.

I would seriously look at potentially drafting an OG and an OT in this draft to compete.

As far as I'm concerned, Levitre and Oher are playing for their jobs and those contracts. Solidify LG and RT and Chance and Schwenke may improve...

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I am pretty much on board here. And not too worried about the OL. The team is starting three guys with less than two year experience and all of them have been on the team less than two years. It should not be a shock they are not playing well and not playing well together.

I like keeping Roos for RT (Even started a thread about it) and would actually cut Oher. Levitre I can see keeping if he keeps improving and takes a pay cut. Which I can see.

Also, I expect Warmack to be at least decent. This year might as well be his rookie year after having Bruce Matthews as a coach last year. Now he is starting to learn. I doubt he will never be as good as you would expect a guard drafted so high to be. However, I think he can get to the level of a Zach Piller or Benji Olson by next year. The biggest thing with Warmack may be to stay in shape this offseason.

And I am right with you in signing a big name FA center. Center is the position that holds the line together and I think we have suffered from having an inexperienced guy with limited ability there. Let Schwenke go to the bench. Otherwise, if Levitre is dumped then let him compete for the LG spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar