How to fix the Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by XO, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny

kenny Starter

One of the biggest issues I have with the coaching staff (Well I should say HC) is a lack of flexibility. I understand putting a system in place. You have to do what you think is best for the team. However, if that system is not going to work with the players you have then you have to transition into that system a bit more slowly. You have to mold SOME guys. You have to mold some of your system to what you have as well. Failing to bend even somewhat, if a huge problem to me. It tells me that Whiz's ego is more important to him than his players, his team, & the teams' fans.

Horton at DC does not have good OLBers. He cannot get to the QB with them. His defense, to be good, needs to get that pass rush. Hell all defenses need it to be good. Horton has adjusted his system and sent others to rush the QB. It has not worked out as well as we would like. It costs us at times. However, at least he is adapting to what he has for now. We all know he wants those sacks from the OLBers, but until he can get them he is doing what he can with what he has.

If Whiz would bend, transition a bit more smoothly, and change up a few things; I believe we would have a better record. Probably not playoffs, the truth is we are very low on talent; but not a 2 win season.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First, he doesn't get to the ACC Championsip game based on his play ( a lot of poor first halves that would cause a loss in the NFL) without an awesome team around him. Second, Cook has been as important a player for them in a lot of their comebacks as Winston. Winston played well in the ACC Championsip Game but Cook was awesome as well.

I agree he played better and mistake free in that game, but he's also going up against the 89th best defense. He looked poor vs Florida and Louisville (top 10 defenses) and BC and Miami (top 15). Not Heisman like!!! NFL defenses are better and he won't have his run game and OL to let him have all day to throw the ball.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

In order to get BETTER we need an influx of talent and a change of a losing culture. Overpaying guys to be avg or worse is a major part of that culture. Why do you think Ayers is playing hard for NE? Because if you don't, you're out the door.

From the top down you set an example as to what is the culture here. I would cut players even if it COST us 200k in cap to do it to set the example that mediocrity is not what we are looking for. You want players to play hard? Change the culture.

Levitre has been subpar and even keeping him as a backup sends the wrong message. And frankly, if they don't cut him, the GM will force him to be a starter so HE doesn't look bad! Same with Griff who was signed to an absurd contract by...same GM. So if Tommy means what he says...get rid of the fat and get the culture straight and your cap back on track. We can either absorb the cap hits now to get them off the books this year or release them after June 1 and split the hit over this and next year.

So you want to save $3mil in cap by cutting Hill - a solid player and another $2mil for Woods who is a decent backup but want to keep $12+mill on the books with Griff and Levitre?

I know Griff is a team leader but he's NOT playing above avg most of the time. And Levitre is playing as poorly as our backup OL! And get it out of your head that Levitre will see the light and play well. Maybe if we brought in a big time OL coach (which I think is also part of our problem)...but since we're not, Levitre can go. He's not gonna get any better. He's not a rookie or 2nd year guy...

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I agree with most of this. However, the main problem is not molding the players more slowly, but getting them to play well and execute in his system. It's not like we've converted to the run and shoot where all of a sudden the qb and wr's have to read the defense and both have to read the same thing. Players have regressed from doing things well or solidly to being poor at them from blocking to catching to route running. And as an offensive guru he said he was bringing a mismatch offense though I haven't seen it. How many times have we gotten Wright matched up on a S or LB? Howoften are we exposing a defensive weakness getting McCluster matched on a slow LB or S? We are not even targeting them 10 times a game.

So part of our problem is not getting players to learn the system, but the system itself. If you want a statue at QB, you need a very good OL and that is at the heart of our problem even before we see what the QB's can do. So conventional wisdom says add more protection or go to the quick 3 step passing game. For the most part, we do neither. How many bubble screens have we run to McCluster? How many Jet sweeps to Wright? How many WR screens? We've done this a little more in recent weeks but not enough and when you have a backup OL, you need to protect more or throw quicker passes.

So I think we have real issues with design, playcalling and adapting these to current players/game situations. ALL of that is on Whiz. The poor OL is split between Whiz's staff and our GM.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. kenny

kenny Starter

I expected to see Sankey used a lot more as a pass catching option out of the backfield as well. One of the things whiz talked about when they drafted him was his pass catching ability & how that was really important to them. I think he should have been more involved early in games catching the ball. I would of at least liked to see what he could do with the option. McCluster was the same way. Seems every time we throw to a RB it is Washington.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

Or the Titans can just commit a total breach of the contract and try their hand in court. I doubt that would ever happen though. The titans are not going to become the LA Titans. More likely were looking at the LA Raiders or LA Rams.

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

That'd be great.

8. Razorbacks

Razorbacks #WooPIgSooie

What are ticket prices now for decent seats at LP?

If we are going to stink this bad.. you think they would be giving away tickets at this point

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Free.

The real secret is you might as well buy upper level nose bleed tickets from scalper and hang out in endzone concessions where you have good view of massive tv and live game.

Assuming you don't see someone handing them out for free. I sold mine for $50 last week which was a $150 loss for me. Gave this week away.

Plan to be there season finale til after the game is over though.

10. XO

XO Nevada Native

Nobody has even mentioned Tennessee being relocated.

Where is all of this even coming from?

Tickets are still sold even if butts aren't in the seats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar