How the Titans OL Went from Mediocre to Awful.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tewa Titan, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRW293

SRW293 Starter

It will not get better until we get better coaches that can teach the young players to play. All our picks and FA can't be all bad.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

not one of the 6 or 7 RBs the Wizinator kept on the 53 man roster is above street level UFA replacement. Not 1 of them.

keeping those RBs and the gaggle of TEs but only 4 WRs is just inexcusable.

started the season with 7OL as well....

Wizinator should have been fired when he handed Webster that roster. Unless it was Webster that kept that roster in which case that and that alone should get him fired

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Bostontitan

Bostontitan Starter

WE kept all those Te because the wr we had on the roster were BAD ....
    Really look at ...At that time those TE were the better pass catchers that we had on the team ....that was the right move .WHAT WAS SAD WAS THE CRAP WEBSTER BROUGHT IN FOR WR ....POSITION....ALL THIS CAP ROOM FOR WHAT ...REALLY FOR WHAT .....

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

could have picked up a couple of cast off WRs or raided other teams reserve roster but instead rolled with 6 or 7 TEs

And still the Wizinator could not find any to help Poutasi - LOL

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Anyone see Tunsil catch a TD tonight? Lol

6. kenny

kenny Starter

It's obvious to everyone that these oline players have been horribly coached. We really have no idea what we have in them.....well maybe just by the lack of effort by a couple. However, a lot of great coaching could really improve this oline. Bostad has not produced ONE average player. I have not seen one player on the oline make any progress. I am ready to see what these guys can do with proper coaching. Really until we get an oline coach we will not be able to tell what we have or don't.

I know that some will not be helped by coaching. However, keeping a positive attitude and praying that coaching will produce much better results than we have seen. The alternative of seeing more resources spent on an oline that has had huge resources devoted to it already, sucks. I know we must spend some on the oline. It needs attention. I just hope it is not as much as we fear it may be!

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I think your summary is a tad harsh on Warmack and Poutasi as individual players, but you didn't summarize the two biggest points in the article. The Titans are a mismatch of finess and power players and the run plays they ran didn't suit the strengths of the players running them. The other major problems are the absolute sloppiness of the fundamentals for nearly all the players in terms of footwork and hand placement as well as an amazing number of missed assignments!!! I think the article is very good...especially with respect to showing each player in a play.

However, there were a couple of things I disagreed on. First, Schwenke is not 'undersized' as an OC. He was about 320lbs coming out of college so he's one of the bigger OC's in the league. Clearly the guy writing the article likes Schwenke a bit too much for most Titans fans, but I noticed more often than not, Schwenke fails on missed assignments more than getting outmuscled (though sometimes that does happen). Considering the missed assignments thing is a UNIT wide problem...that goes to coaching!

Additionally, he was more encouraging about Poutasi as a OG. But 2 things are for d@mn sure, the Titans invested more than 90% of NFL teams to get almost no return on that investment (draft pick values and money). With player changes and additional investment, we got the same result...poor OL play. How an OL coach survives this kind of thing is beyond me!!! I would have fired our OL and ST coaches when Whiz got fired. A message needs to be sent that everyone will be held accountable. Of course, that would mean Webster firing himself!!!

But it's a good article and should anyone in the Titans front office read it, goodbye OL coach at the very least.

Lastly, it does make nice mention of how each player can improve. With good coaching, Lewan should be a top 5 LT, Warmack can be a good power blocking RG, Poutasi can be a good run blocking OG at least, and Schwenke could become a good OC. Of course, that would require the first thing we don't have...good coaching on the OL!!!

#57 Gut, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    • High Five High Five x 2
  8. Tewa Titan

Tewa Titan Starter

That is my hope, that most of this bad OL play is coming from poor coaching. Its why I am ready to find out who is going to be the HC, to see who they bring in to replace Bostad. He is at this point gone, we have given him top 10 draft picks and some FA help and gotten nothing in return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar