"How is Rusty Smith progressing" article by PK

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

And you know this, how?

Belichek was an average NFL coach at best until he met Bob Kraft's checkbook.

There used to be a pretty iffy QB on the Houston Oilers roster named Steve McNair.....Fisher made McNair good back in the late 90's - early 00's. Was he so bad? Seems he turned out pretty good.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Good luck with that.. Collins is at the end of his career and at some point Vince Young will be backed up by Rusty. At that point Vince is an injury or a coupla bad performances away from being supplanted by Rusty -at least temporarily. Money talks and Vince makes alot of it. Rusty, not so much..

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This question is impossible to answer because it depends 100% on whether the coaching staff and front office think Rusty can be the guy. We don't get to see him play or see him practice. They do. If they think Rusty has any shot at being the guy, then I think they would bring in a vet QB (I assume Collins would retire) and have them compete in camp, with the idea that Rusty should win.

If they don't think Rusty can be the guy, then I guess they consider taking a QB early in the draft.

My personal feeling is that they would give Rusty a shot in 2011 and hope he's the next Tom Brady, or at least Tony Romo.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

People need to get used to the idea that Rusty Smith is a lot closer to starting for this team than most 3rd QBs are for their team.

Collins should retire after this season. I think we all expect that.

Vince Young is by no means a lock to be back in 2011. I believe 2011 is the final year of his contract and if he hasn't established himself as the clear long-term starter for this team by the end of this season (and he's definitely not close to that at this point), I expect him to be cut. It will all depend on how Vince plays for the rest of the season, but with the way he has looked so far, I think there's at least a 25% chance Vince isn't back next year.

It's not that far-fetched to say that Rusty could be the starter in 2011.

5. Titanite

Titanite Pulling for VY...Sue me.

I know because I'm psychic and can use my powers to view various alternate realities including the one in which Tom Brady is drafted and coached up by Jeff Fisher and his coaching staff.

Trust me, it doesn't turn out the same.

Seriously though and obviously just from conjecture and in my opinion, Fisher would not have helped to produce the Peyton Manning that pwns our division or THE Tom Brady(What an average joe name!). Fish would need to develop a different offensive philosophy for these guys to live up to their potential.

I want more offense, Fish!

And somewhat off-topic:

If K. Britt doesn't begin to get more action I'm gonna go insane.

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Preposterous..

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Like bigtitan said, if you need the franchise QB and one is there you take him. It'd be a huge gamble to pass on a potential superstar QB in favor of a 6th round pick out of Florida Atlantic. They really like Rusty. I'm not too sure they like him that much.

But the real question is how high would you have to be picking to have a shot at one of those guys? I don't think a top 15 pick would be high enough considering all of the teams that will likely be picking ahead of us that are in dire need of a franchise QB (e.g. Buffalo, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, maybe San Francisco). I don't think we would have a chance.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

thing about RS is he is prototype QB material, Heimdsfdger likes him and he is apparently coachable. Daft and Volek were not prototype. Daft was particularly short and Volek is close but not quite (6-2 215) there. Daft was smart enough but lacked the physical traits to be a starter, Volek had an issue (whatever it was) with the coaching staff. Regardless the major difference between RS and the other young BUs the Titans have had is stature/coachability. RS has it and the others were lacking.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:spit:

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

^Most those QBs were "noticed" after an injury to the starter.

Volek was supposed to be a starter too, after showing he should have been- and Fisher went 12 year old girl on him.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar