How important is the QB position in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nate42104, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

With one of the best (if not the best) defenses of all time. Almost any QB in the NFL could have won a Super Bowl with the 2000 Ravens team.

I'm not going to lie... If I was as in good of shape as I was last summer, I could have won a Super Bowl with the Ravens back in 2000. But I've lost too much weight now.

Can't be that hard when all you have to do is hand the ball off 70% of the time, and when you actually do pass, just make short, easy throws. Nothing complicated. The dude didn't have to do anything. Martin Gramatica could have gone out there and the Ravens still would have beat the Giants. Kerry through so many picks that game, plus the Ravens' special teams were on fire. Trent literally did nothing.

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Exactly. That's why I think it's ludicrous to say that we have no chance at winning the Super Bowl with Vince. Obviously, the better our QB is, the better our chances are. That holds true for any position on the field. But I also think that if we are good enough at other positions to win a Super Bowl, Vince Young isn't so bad that he'll hold us back. Dilfer didn't keep the Ravens from winning it all.

3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

The 2000 Ravens won before all the rule changes that favor WRs and QBs. Even that defense would get raped by Brees and Manning today.

It is a pass happy league because that is what the league wants. Still yet, I think as long as we have a top offense, we have a chance. That is a great stable of backs in that list, but I do not think any of them were as good as CJ will be in his prime, and he is about to hit his stride. When Vince took over QB this past season, the overall play of the offense elevated to the upper half of the league (not over the season, just week by week).

Vince does need to continue to improve, but I thought he showed a lot of improvement this past season. His stats were not mind blowing, but they also do not reflect how crisp his passes were and how he was going through his progressions. His deep ball especially improved. Those are things he can build on. Nonetheless, if he regresses again, there is no doubt in my mind that we will draft a new franchise QB. Back to the point of this thread, it is a pass happy league now. We need to see more progress or we need to end the experiment, and move on to catch up with the rest of the league.

4. Carp

Carp Starter

That doesn't mean there is a correlation between the two. Pitt had Willie Parker (pre-injuries) and the Bus whenever they won their first SB. The Ravens had Dilfer as the QB and Lewis as the RB when they won theirs. The Giants had a terrific running game as well.

If your point is to say that more well rounded teams stand to have a higher chance of winning the SB, well then.... duh.

5. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

Good point! Another reason why we need to upgrade our WR corps with topshelf talent. As pointed out; the teams with the best odds have top QB's; they also have some of the top WR's.
    Yes the Steelers odds might have dropped, but they lost more than Big Ben; they lost Holmes.
    It's that age old question; which came first the chicken or the egg? They are innately intertwined and their success is dependent on one another. I know, its very soon after the draft; but I'm still in shock we passed over Moss2. Vince showed marked improvement this last year, and by surrounding him and CJ with playmakers, he has no excuse for failure. Maybe the guy Williams that we drafted will be very, very, good and make passing on Bryant a moot point. All I know is that we need one more weapon; while CJ's legs are still fresh if we want to capitalize on the window.

6. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

We addressed the return game and our D-line quite a bit IMO.

Draft could of been better but I give it a very solid B at the minimum.

I think we are in good shape; I can really see us hittin' the playoffs this year and hopefully winning some games in it, depending on who's ready to step up and whether VY keeps improving.

His long ball is money.....just need our WRs to actually catch.....

His short ball is what I hope has improved the most in the off season. Being able to move the chains with short routes can be more successfull then long bombs. (especially with nate 'Scissor-hands' Washington around to drop those long bombs)

7. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

I personally like 'Fingerless' Nate Washington better than Scissor hands...I just wish his last name was Jackson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar