How I would run my pro days

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thaddeus43, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

So a lot of NFL scouts and coaches say that pro days are pointless. They don't care about watching the QBs throw against air in shorts and a T-shirt, or the CBs running drills or whatever. All they really care about are the meetings.

So that got me thinking ... why not run your pro day like an actual practice. Have a full 11 on 11 practice set up. Full pads and all. And run your pro day like that. You could show off your prospects in more of a 'live action' type setting.

But without telling any of the NFL scouts and coaches, you script the pro day. For instance if you are trying to show off your QB to the pros ... you let the D know exactly what plays are being called, and where the ball is going, and you instruct them to let them catch it. You could script some 'broken plays' and scrambles making it appear your QB is good a thinking on his feet and improvising. You could script 'audibles' make it look like your QB is making reads at the LOS. You could script the QB going through his progressions. You could script the QB making throws 'under pressure' ... ect

It would all be fake, but I think some scouts and experts would eat it up and the ones that don't typically care about the pro day might be convinced.

You always have scouts and experts go crazy about a player after a combine or pro day (good or bad). And while not everyone would buy into it, it could be enough to raise your draft stock a in a few teams eyes.

Then as a coach, you look better for getting players drafter higher.

.... just a random thought.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

if they wanted game film, they'd just watch game film. A lot of these scouts have watched these QBs live in person already, anyway. A scripted scrimmage would be a dealbreaker if they found out the defense was dogging it..

And of course it's a setup, no QB will risk injury for a pro day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar