How do you think the Cowboys feel about the Cardinals?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I misread then - any system will have it's flaws whether it's in regard to competition, geographically (for fans), or whatever. I think the current system is a multi-layered one that takes into account many factors and it only runs from 2002-2009, so after next season we might get a taste of something new.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I've heard one "bad division" argument... like the NFC West is a "bad division", well, can't a decent team win a "bad division" by padding their win total beating up on the division rivals?

Overall record or no... I just can't be convinced that overall records matter as much when they are loaded with 6 games that make up playing division rivals twice are different by 8 games for non-conference play and conference play. That's way too much difference in the schedules for overall records to be fair.

Is it a coincidence the "tougher" NFC South played the "weak" AFC West?
    The NFC East plays the AFC North... Cincinnati and Cleveland may have been cupcake games for the Giants... Where the Panthers had it easy playing the Chiefs, Raiders, Broncos and Chargers... It kind of makes the Panthers 12-4 not look as good as the Giants 12-4... They both had quality division competition.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't understand your point because some of the teams from the weakest divisions played the lesser scedule. Chargers and cardinals did not get those mediocre records because they played so many strong opponents.

Also based on what you just said home field should not be decided by record. Did you just say that?

The nfl used to rotate home field advantage in the playoffs without regard to records. That's how the packers were at home in 1967 in the ice bowl because the cowboys that year had the better record. Want to go back to that?

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'm just with the owners on this. I figure if a team has the best record among three others with 14 common games they should win the division and a home playoff.

I figure division runner ups that can't be the best team in that four team group should be thankful they make the playoffs at all. If it means they go on the road and play a wild card game, so be it.

The key thing is a team can play in a poor division, play a weak conference division and then on top of that, if that is not enough help, play a weak non-conference division and 75% of their own conference does not have a schedule like that.

hypothetically,
    It's way too easy to saddle one division with a very tough schedule and let another division have a relatively easier schedule. Now it's ok for the winner of the division with the very tough schedule to be supplanted by a runner up from another division that not only had a significantly easier schedule but an overall record 1 game better? I don't think so.

Why bother to play division foes twice unless it means something?

In theory, if one were to go by overall record in seeding it's very possible to bring it one step further and completely omit the #4 wc division winner who ends up (9-7) and replace them with still another runner up from around the conference that didn't make it in.

It would be more fair to never play anyone in your own division until the first week of an elongated postseason where every division #1 plays it's runner-up for a sudden death play-off...

How would you like a qualifying round? I wouldn't.

RollTide, I have no problem with the way things are currently. That's my stand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar