How do you feel about VY?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bored1, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

This is the kind of thinking that gets real has me scatching my head. I watched some of that game as well and you know what I saw? I saw Brees making picture perfect passes. Sure the WRs looked good but my gosh Brees was throwing the ball so perfectly any decent WRs would have looked good. A prime example was the TD pass to Colston where Brees threw the ball not just to the guy but at perfect height, velocity and on his shoulder opposite where the defender was. Often times the WRs didn't even have seperation but Brees was dropping passes literally into perfect spots with perfect timing. Brees even made one play where he broke away from the rush and hit the TE on great play. How many of those have we seen this year?

How about the short int VY threw? It could have been Jerry Rice in his prime on the other end of that one and do you really think that makes a difference? Sure an upgrade at WR would be nice but it takes more than that. Ask Moss how things were when he was in Oakland compared to now.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Right. I didn't watch much of that game but did see Brees throw a ball to the outside shoulder of Colston for a TD. I don't think but a handful of QBs in the league make that throw.

Getting back to the offense and defense being Fisher's. They are. He doesn't micro-manage the calls during the game but he's rubber stamped the first series and the game approach for each including the overall scheme. I'm sure he's also a big part of adjustments during the game when they are needed.

Of course, he's also the one who ultimately decides on personnel.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Not trying to come late to the party but I am very critical of Vince where I can find fault but am very hopeful for what the future brings. I believe in the guy. I think he will take us places. Although I am frustrated I am willing to stick it out and understand that this is all part of his development. There are things I wish our coaching staff would do differently but that is out of my hands.

4. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

This is basically the same boat I am in. I idolize Vince Young. I cried when we drafted him. I go nuts when he does even the smallest things right. But wacthing him struggle kills me, but I know that its growing pains and that he's going to get through it. I still believe that he'll be the best to ever play, and Im not doubting him at all.

The coaching staff needs to realize, though, that Vince isnt a normal QB. He does have legs and he is a leader. His passing is not there, but making him sit in the pocket the entire game and letting him make mistakes is only going to kill his morale a bit and get him down on himself. He isnt that mature yet. We need to use his speed to our advantage more and let him run, then, he will be the best in the league (Once Tom and Peyton retire, of course :koolaid: )

5. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

Couldn't stay away from this one. You may be right about Young struggling in the Titan system, but in College Young led the entire nation in completion percentage his junior year in the regular season, his stats were only surpassed during the bowl season. He ended up #3 as in passer rating in 2005. Young's career passing percentage was the best in University of Texas History. Young's Jr. Season in which he came out of College his numbers were sick, they were only minimized by him not completing many games, because often they were decided by halftime, and young would sit after a couple of series into the third quarter, I think one UT fan estimated that he spent an equivelant of 2 1/2 or 3 games on the bench.

Not trying to downplay his current performances, or compare College to Professional level talent, just pointing out that he was accurate in college.

Sneaking back into the shadows...

6. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

I agree... Young's numbers in College were amazing, but the College level, especially Texas' system was very forgiving. Unfortunately the Pro's are not forgiving and it amplifies his inability to be accurate with any kind of consistences.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

That's Fisherball.

Eddie, Eddie, Steve.
    Eddie, Eddie, Steve.

LenDale, LenDale, Vince
    LenDale, LenDale, Vince.

Fisher would do the same with Warren Moon.

Based on VYs stats this year, he has just over 60% chance of completing a pass and even you cannot disagree he was better over the past month (excluding San Diego) than he has been but Fisher went back to his conservative ways and doesn't trust his QB to do it, he never does, whether it be Young or McNair.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Personally, I think Young is much more accurate than last year and I'm encouraged by that. What I still see is a tentativeness which sometimes slows him just enough to not put the ball where it needs to be soon enough and gives the defender time to react.

The optimist in me thinks that is fixed with experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar