How do you feel about Matt Forte's situation?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Matt Forte and Chris Johnson were in similar situations this past offseason.

Chris Johnson decided to hold out and Matt Forte decided not to in faith the bears would reward him with a contract.

Meanwhile Chris Johnson got paid before the regular season started, struggled for 6 of the first 7 weeks but now looks back on track as one of the elite runningbacks in the NFL.

Matt Forte started off hot, and quickly proved his case for a new contract but the Bears opted not to reward him contract claiming they don't negotiate in season. The Bears POUNDED Forte into the ground and clearly over worked him as last week he jacked up his knee and now hes injured.

Matt Forte is hurt and claims he WON'T be pressing to get back on the field specifically because he doesn't have a new contract. Forte has said he won't be "holding out" but hes certainly not in any rush to get back on the field IN THE THICK OF THE PLAYOFF RACE.

Now the Bears have a big mess:
    They've got a RB that they were heavily relying on without Cutler to make the playoffs, who won't play injured because of his contract situation.

Forte is almost definitely skipping town now the first chance he gets after how terribly the Bears handled the situation.

And now theres that black cloud above the franchise that tells free agents that they don't take care of thier players.

When looking at the whole Chris Johnson dilemma and Matt Forte's situation side by side you've got to be thinking our problems could be worse.

The Bears played hardball with Matt Forte and it CLEARLY didn't pay off, Matt Forte gave in and didn't hold out.

Tennessee played similar hardball with Chris Johnson but CJ didn't budge and it paid off for CJ and the Titans with minimal damage done early in the season.

They're RB is hurt/disgruntled when it matters most, and ours is playing elite football and is locked up for years.

Would you rather have had CJ not get a new contract, play for skittles, develop a hostil relationship with ownership and have him skip town once his contract is over. Nope. Not me, I'm perfectly fine with a few bad games, if it means keeping one of the best runningbacks in the league through 2016. It's not ideal, but certainly could have been worse.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

This is pretty much exactly why CJ did what he did. As a fan, I think it is BS and I don't like it. But I wouldn't play another down for Chicago until I got a contract.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I feel fine.

Forte has earned more $$$s than the other 99%

4. dome patrol

dome patrol Camp Fodder

Poster child for why you SHOULD hold out.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

CJ feels fine too. He's looking at Forte and thinking it was the best decision he's ever made to hold out, no regrets whatsoever. How do you feel about that?

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Yes CJ should have reported because that what the whole contract thing is all about. And the Titans could have locked the little guy down till he was north of 30 before he sniffed URFA.

And soos you knows EVERY NFL team does the exact same thing with contracts ect. Its the way The League is designed.

7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

One of the best written posts I've read on here in a long time. I agree 100% and there's really not much else to say really.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

dont you gotta go gather up some cold weather gear for sunday?

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I don't see why CJ not holding out for the actual season was not an option.

It keeps him familiar with the team, keeps him on an eye to eye level with management and him sitting out that one game, after seeing what a mess our run game was. Would probably have worked just as well.

It would have fixed all the damage caused by some of the things he said, and yea he probably still would have been blamed for the loss, hopefully he would not have had such a hard time throughout the season.

I believe both sides handled this situation poorly, but I think CJ, more so his agent, should have had the common sense to figure this out. I really do not see why he did not do this. Only scenario was he was afraid Ringer would have a great game and would push him to the back burner, which I doubt is what he thought.

10. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Titans promised CJ a new deal in 2010 by september, they made no offer. Team was responsible too. The team should have never promised the deal, blame on both sides. The Bears should have done something for Forte he is a great player and a good guy. Drather have what happened with CJ, than what desean jackson has done in philly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar