How do we fix the run defense???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

We were horrible against the run this year. How do we fix it?

To me Hill is not a great NT. He plays too high and gets turned too easily. Personally I look to cut him and save 4mil in cap room. The addition of Al Woods didn't work out either. Cut him and save another 2mil.

Although I've been clamoring for the 3-4 defense, we are still a ways away from having all the parts for it. What I'm going to suggest is almost blasphemy to me, but here it goes.

If we want to stop the run and have a dominant defense as quick as possible then this is what I do. I switch back to the 4-3. I go after JPP in FA and draft Leonard Williams with the #2 pick. Our front 4 is then Morgan, Casey, Williams, and JPP. The combo of Casey and Williams in the middle is 2 quick 300lbers which will make it tough to run inside and they can certainly push the pocket and make Luck uncomfortable. JPP would be harder to double team with Casey and Williams inside. Then at Lber we have Brown, Williamson, and Woodyard. I think Brown and Woodyard are best suited for the 4-3. I was impressed by Williamson and think he will do fine in any style of defense.

I see us as 2 moves away from a solid 4-3 defense (Williams who we know we can get at #2 and an edge rusher JPP). For us to be a solid 3-4 defense we are a NT, a rush OLBer, and a plugger ILB away. I just don't know where we find the stud NT. Without a stud NT the 3-4 defense is crap against the run.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Suh

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

Sign Suh and Justin Houston. Easy enough.

I would say changing scheme again has about a 0% chance of happening with same coaches

4. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

No way Whiz changes his defense to 4-3.

That would mean he would have to pretty much admit he had the wrong personnel for the 3-4 and we all know Whiz will never admit to when he is wrong or makes a mistake.

He would rather have this defense crash and burn 2 years in a row than try to do anything rational.

5. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

NT, ILB- we need guys that can tackle period! The first guy missed this year all year long. Sad really and very hard to watch. We need a NOSE, an ILB, OLB, and better support from the back. These players have to be very good too...... where do we get that? I dunno.

6. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

Our top 2 tacklers I believe also lead the team in missed tackles. Woodyard and Griffin.

I agree the poster, it starts up the front. I would love if we could get a good NT and draft Williams.

Make running backs have to work to get past the line of scrimmage instead of busting through a wide open hole at full steam against the guys in the 2nd level.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

even if we were to pick up Suh in FA we still have a huge need for a NT and ILB.

I'd like to get to the draft with the ability to draft BPA. So if we stick with the 3-4 who are the FA NTs or ILBers that we should pick up. Obviously those are the key areas on defense that need improvement. We were able to generate pressure, but that does you no good when the team can just run it down your throat.

8. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Easy, get better defensive players. Elevate the talent level of this team from the Abyss to at least average.

9. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

The problem with this whole 3-4 scheme, is that they have SO many missing pieces. No quality NT, Pass rusher, and crap OLB's. Not having great man coverage CB's doesn't help either, because then they can't play up. They need to start by making Defense a priority and drafting FOOTBALL players, not projects. That being said, we all know that most likely they will go Offense in the 1st because that's what Whiz and co does. Meanwhile, Williams or Gregory will ignite somewhere else lol.

10. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

We need a DE that can beat anyone 1 vs. 1. Casey is that as a DT and can also do that at DE if he's placed out there, but that's only one player on the DL. We need another player that can do the same thing to draw a double team to open things up for the LBs or DL.

Besides Casey, we do not have a dominant DL. Probably the reason we're getting ran all over too, but that's same song, same dance.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar