how do the colts do it?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

When you have a Manning, nfl rules don't apply to your team.

3. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

They were fortunate with the timing of the last new TV deal, it allowed the cap to grow quite a lot over just a 4-5 year period of time. While the Titans (under floyd the barber) were having to pay the piper about 3 years before the new cap kicked in. Take heart however in the fact that not everything comes up golden for panty and the prancing ponies, harrison is done and they are gonna be on the take for quite a lot there, who knows whether or not freeney will ever be back to his pre-injury self. The fact is that we are now competitive with them and they are still loaded, also panty boys contract we, shall we say very, very friendly in the early years. I believe they will soon see age begin to have its way also.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

They signed him to a six year deal that makes him the highest paid TE in the league. It was more cap friendly than the $4.53 Mill they would have had to pay him under the franchise tag.

Think about that a moment. There are no figures for the deal but $4.53 mill is the average of the top 5 TE salaries in the league. His deal makes him the best paid TE.

If I make a guess & say this he's getting a $9 mill signing bonus,that woulds be worth $1.5 mill a year against the cap when spread against the 6 year contract.With a vet minimum salary this year of $830,000 that would mean that Clark cost the Colts $2.33 mill to pay Clark this year.

If that's not a back loaded contract I don't know what is.

Even with all the extra money the new CBA gave them the Colts are beginning to finance their current roster against a not too far away cap hell.

5. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

Polian was one of the guys who created the CBA right? If thats the case then he knows every way to manipulate it. Not saying they are cheating, I wish we had as much success as they do with the cap, they are just very smart about it.

6. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

I think you hit the nail on the head right there

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Highest paid DE.
    Highest paid QB.
    Highest paid S.
    Highest paid K.
    Highest paid TE.
    is there any I'm missing?

No way that should be possible.

8. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Yeah you are don't forget both harrison and wayne's deals were huge, memory says harrison was $60+ million and wayne over $40 million.

9. It's just the way the salary cap is. Freeney, Sanders, and Clark won't be all that expensive yet. It's later on where they become an issue. Plus, they have pretty cheap players at most of the other positions.

10. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

BP is the best when it comes to drafts and contracts. If he weren't good at one the other would screw him over... luckily for my boys its a nice balance and we manage to make it work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar