How an Uncapped Season Affects the Tennessee Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: As the March deadline quickly approaches, it doesn't appear as if a new Collective Bargaining Agreement will be in place and 2010 will be the NFL's first uncapped year in 16 years. If 2010 is an "uncapped" season, every player from the '05 draft who signed a five-year deal or, if drafted in '06 with a four-year deal, will remain with the team who drafted them as a restricted free agent. This will reduce the number of unrestricted free agents available this year by 212 players which is significant as you'll see in the positional breakdowns.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

It will affect us in that all the good free agents wont come here because we wont shell out any money for them even in an uncapped year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

there won't be any good free agents available. teams get multiple franchise tags instead of one and you better believe without a cap teams will use them.

the best thing that could happen for us is no cap so we can keep guys like scaife, tulloch, white and tony brown as RFAs.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

I haven't thoroughly read through all the uncapped stuff but I had a question and a comment. How can Scaife have to make at least as much money as the previous year as a RFA since the tender offers aren't that much...?

Second, DO keep an eye on a guy like Julius Peppers. Carolina can't franchise him or he'd be owed a 20% increase over last year's salary and I seriously doubt they'd pay him that. Course, doesn't mean the Titans will go after him, just that some star players will not be franchised.

Gut

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I found this extremely confusing as well. From what I understand, in '05, he signed a four year deal making him a UFA in '09. But since he was franchised last season, that extends his contract to five seasons which make him a restricted free agent next season.

Like you said, there are set amounts for the various levels of RFAs. So, I had assumed, Scaife would make whatever tender the Titans offer. But what I found referenced in the Tennessean and other sources was that teams must pay a player more than the previous season.

I tried finding the source again but had no luck. I just sent Jim Wyatt an email asking about it so will report here once I hear back.

Yup. It'll push it over $20 mil. In an uncapped season, we're talking only $4 mil more. If they were willing to pay it last year, they may pay it again or, and more likely, trade him or work out a long-term deal.

With each team having three franchise tags, I don't see any top talent hitting free agency unless some of the teams are going to use this time to clear out some big salaries.

6. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

I'll never understand why people think the Titans are unwilling to spend money on players. We paid a good amount for Washington and Givens. We were right up against the cap for several years, to the point where dead money was killing us because we paid people so well. The idea that the Titans aren't willing to pay players is a myth. They just aren't willing to overpay, and I don't have a problem with that.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Titans wont make many moves on Offense, other than White (Ringer) and Scaife (Cook) i dont see why the titans would change anything. so even if a good player hits the market the Titans wont be looking.

Defense needs some serious help, Fisher wont be giving up on Griffin anytime soon. It's clear Hood wont replace Harper, maybe someone else will.

the LB position and DL will be the Titans focus. and dont look for them to land a superstar, they will try and patch the Defense with guys that fly under the radar but have talent. I dont think a uncapped season will effect us.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

We've had TONS of wasted cap room for like the last 4 seasons. Which is a clear sign that we're cheap- paying guys as if we get to keep the unspent money.

You say we spent good money on Washington and Givens, yet don't overspend... that's a contradiction to the fullest.

10. Bud isn't against spending money. Before the salary cap began, the Oilers had the most expensive roster in the NFL.

If he thinks spending money will help him win a Super Bowl while he's still alive, I expect he'll do so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar