How about KC v VY for starter?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

It's funny how quickly things change in the NFL...

VY leads us to the playoffs, appears in a Pro Bowl, and then starts the next season with a bad half and he sucks.

VY had a solid first pre-season game and there are still people arguing whether he can complete a pass, read a defense, throw an accurate pass or whether he's smart enough to play the position. Funny how most of the nay-sayers have never played quarterback past a pee-wee league but understand route combinations, read progressions, the different types of defensive schemes and feel qualified to make judgements about whether an NFL QB (who has had success as an NFL QB) is qualified to play QB. I'm always up for a chuckle...

But here we are...a full season after VY was left for 'dead' and Kerry Collins went from trying to get someone to pay him as a backup to near elite status. Collins was signed to a big 2 year extension and the writing appeared to be on the wall for VY. The only question seemed to be whether Vince would be cut before this season or next and how the Titans might try to think about life 3 years down the road without Kerry Collins. But what now?

Vince Young has vastly improved upon a solid outing in Buffalo to lead the Titans back to a win against the Bucs. Vince ran the ball, looked comfortable in the pocket, made good decisions (99% of the time), and showed big play ability with 2 long passes to First round pick Kenny Britt! The big play punch the Titans seemed to be lacking when the ball wasn't in Chris Johnson's hands has appeared...with Vince Young throwing the ball?

What happened to he can't throw the ball, read the defense, or hang in there mentally? The Bucs blitzed Young a lot and he made plays. Perhaps even better, Young was deflecting praise after the game instead of criticism. Every time they tried to make it about Young's performance, he deflected the praise to a WR, OL, RB, coach, or the entire team. Looks like his PR ability is flourishing as well!

In the meantime, Kerry Collins looked solid against the Bills but didn't throw a TD pass and was lucky a LB dropped a taylor-made interception ball. Against the Bucs, he looked worse. He tried to FORCE a deep post to Nate Washington which was well covered and intercepted. His second interception was more of a great defensive play than a bad throw but his inability to get the Titans points was noticeable. In fact, it was reminiscent of the poor pre-season VY had prior to last season.

At the moment, VY has a statistical advantage over Collins. VY has thrown for 170yds, 2 TD's and 1 INT with a QB rating of 90.6. VY also finished the Bucs game with a stellar 118 QB rating...when was the last time that happened? Collins, on the other hand, has thrown for 119 yds, 0 TD's and 2 INT's with a QB rating of 36.8. These numbers should be even more disparate since Collins should have 1 MORE INT and VY should have 0.

In reality, Collins is not in trouble....YET! Clearly, this pre-season was designed to force VY to compete for the #2 spot which in effect is him fighting for a roster spot. You don't carry multi-million dollar #3 QB's. In fact, this was really all about VY and his future...can he or can't he play? Could he or could he not be our future franchise QB? Giving VY more reps in buffalo and with talk of VY starting a game (to give him his best chance with the first string unit) has taken a quick turn. Collins will now get a much needed start against the Cowboys. This shows how concerned the Titans are about Collins. While Collins will have every opportunity to recapture his magic of a year ago, and then some, Collins will now feel some heat about his performance...and not just from opposing pass rushers.

If Collins struggles against the Cowboys and Vince has another good outing, Vince won't become the starter, but the door for a competition may become unlocked (not publicly). It's still a long shot for VY to become the starter this season, but a long shot is a lot better than no shot. And for a guy who was thought of as dead weight just a couple of months ago....going forward is a lot better than going backwards!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 6
  2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I like VY just as much as any VY fan and want to see him succeed. But right now, I don't think we should change anything. Collins is doing well. Let Collins continue to do well whilst Vince has the luxury of learning and getting better, and ready to start next season. If he's still here.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i don't know why everyone is shocked kerry collins threw two INTs against the bucs. he's been a turnover machine his entire career. last year was an aberration.

4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

The patient erick: I want VY to do well and fill in when asked and get the job done.

The frustrated erick: I wish VY would suck and not show signs of hope because we could just move on and focus on the team and not one individual who WILL NOT start unless KC is injured.

You guys tell me, should I be patient or frustrated?

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Gut, you tell em!

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Good read and return of the Gut!

7. From-the-stands

From-the-stands Starter

I think the Huggers incite more VY bashing with ridiculous posts like this one than anything else.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

This.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huggers? Amusing.

What is ridiculous about the post?

Gut

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Anyone that wants to see Vince Young on the field during our regular season IS NOT a Titans fan.

Simple as that.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar