Houston's Time To Win South

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dtm586, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

It may sound easy to start making the bold prediction that THIS will finally be the year the Houston Texans overtake the "power house of the division" the Indianapolis Colts, considering all the uncertainty of Peyton Manning's injured neck status heading into the new campaign.

Seems like the last 3 years from NFL gurus to the average joes' drinking at a bar and talking sports, the bold and popular prediction was that the Houston Texans were finally getting over the top and beating out the Colts for 1st place in the south.

However, it never happened; after back to back 8-8 records from 07-08 they progressed going 9-7 in 09 before regressing back to 6-7 last year.

The knack on Houston has always been, not knowing how to close out close games. If Matt Shaub can stay healthy, if Arian Foster can repeat his ridiculuos out of nowhere year he had last year and remain one of the top backs in the league and Andre Johnson can play a full season at his caliber (even though he's now entering his 30's) - I think this Houston team can be one to reckon with.

They usually seem to play Indy close. Here's the kicker - WEEK-1 Indy @ Houston. If Manning in fact cant play by the opening day and their forced to start the statue Kerry Collins - Wade Phllips who I think is a really good defensive coordinator (a below average head coach) can turn Houston's defense around with Mario Williams and Cushing blitzing the crap out of Collins in that opening game - or even Manning for that matter. A big win for Houston @ home against a division powerhouse rival, may just give them the confidence moving foward.

Even though the schedules are similiar; Indy gets New England and Baltimore back to back late in the season while around that same time Houston gets Cincinnati and Carolina, which could play a factor if the standings are close.

The Titans with Jake Locker waiting in the wings and The Jaguars with Blaine Gabbert waiting in the wings, both of which are realistically 2-3 years away from competing in the South. The Colts are on the decline. Peyton cant play forever and Reggie Wayne is past his prime (although still a stud), The only team not past their prime or not yet in they're prime - is Houston who is directly in their prime and ready to dethrone the Colts.

A top 10-15 QB in his late 20's, the best WR in the league just now 30 and a young mid-20's emerging runningback who could be the best back in the league again this year - Texans will win the South in 2011.

If i'm keeping the bold predictions up ill then say Colts win in 2012 (they're last go around) while the Titans and Texans fight it out in 2013.

With all that, I'm not a Texans fan by any means but it's great to finally see the Colts deteriorating and some new blood moving up the ranks.

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

This seems like the prediction for the last three or four years.

I disagree.

I think the Texans continue to give up to many point. The will come out of the gates swinging and lose a few easy ones down the stretch.

Honestly the Titans could be there if a couple rookies step up and we stay healthy.

You can never count Manning out.

The Jaguars might surprise some people.

9-7 wins this division.

I say we split with the Colts and Texans. Sweep the Jaguars.

We can beat Denver, Cleveland, Carolina, Buffalo and Cincinnati.

That makes us 9-7. Realistically we drop a couple we should win and go 6-10 or 7-9.

3. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

last 3 times the titans have played denver

2010 - denver wins 26-20
    2007 - denver wins 34-20
    2004 - denver wins 37-16

last time the titans beat the broncos ...

1995 with chris chandler and "air" mcnair houston 42 - denver 33

so i dont think they beat denver this year either, ill take kyle orton vs our cornerbacks

your right though, Houston's cornerbacks are pretty bad on paper and they will probably lose some games they had no business losing at points in the schedule

4. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

I honestly think Jim Caldwell has no idea what he's doing. Del Rio is Del Rio. It comes down whether the Houston D can step. It'll be interesting to see if Mario works out as a 3-4 'backer.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

:blah2:

Who cares? I know this team doesn't. We should have beat them last year, and our players know this. We will have extra motivation when they come to us. Get some pressure on Orton and he'll cough the ball up. I'm not threated by Denver at all. I'm actually counting on that as a W.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The Texans will never win a division title.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Heard all this before. It does seem reasonable, but they're still the Texans.

8. SATitan

SATitan Starter

The Texans have a history of folding so I don't see them winning the division. But I do agree that the South is wide open with Manning's injury. Everyone in the South has a legitimate shot this year.

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I see it the other way.

If Peyton missed a few games, the division is ours for the taking.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Offensively, I think the Texans have everything they need. It's all about their defense. They get back some guys but I don't think their secondary is strong enough yet to contend.

I see the AFC South as being really down. I think the Colts are on a decline. The Jags rarely seem to be consistent. The Titans are unknown. I do think the Texans have a good shot at winning the division but still not win 11 games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar