Houston...err...Tennessee, we've got a problem!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

No way are defense will be top 16. We are a young defensive team with a lot of talent, but it will take time for them to gel.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Comparisons...

I don't like questionaire's like this Vigsted (no offense) because depending on how you match up players, we can get greatly different answers.

A better comparison would be comparing our core of defensive players to their core...

They have 2 good DL (Harris and Ogunleye), 1 dominant LB (Urlacher), 2 good CB's (Vasher and Tillman) and a good S (Brown). As for the rest of their D, they vary from slightly below avg (or limited ability) to above avg.

We have 2 good to dominant DL (KVB and Haynesworth), 2 good to dominant LB's (Thornton and Bulluck), 1 good CB (Pacman), and 1 good S (Brown). The rest of our guys are avg or better I'd say.

To give you a better perspective on the current talent...the Bears defense last year was #1 in scoring and #1 in avg yards per play. I'd say we have more than enough talent to be in the top 10 which is why nothing less than middle of the pack (AT A MINIMUM) is required.

Gut

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

As I just pointed out, we have as much talent (currently) as the number 1 defense from last year. Barring injuries, we should almost be able to sleepwalk our way to middle of the pack unless we have a real coaching problem....or someone disgrees with my player assessments.

While we have only a couple of new starters and they are both GOOD, it shouldn't take too long to gel - which is why I'm not demanding a top 10 finish...yet!

Gut

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

The idea was simply to get people to look at individual players on the Bears defence and our defence and ask themselves, are they really, individually (significantly) better than us. And I think the answer is no.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Their core of defensive players also included, Briggs, Alex Brown, and Ian Scott who are all three very solid players. I dont quite think that Starks and Laboy match up to them at this point. Thornton is probably close to Briggs though.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Core doesn't equal solid...

You don't build a team around solid players...you build it around core players.

Briggs, Brown and Scott are not core players IMO.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar