Horton: 4 Games before we see true D

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Brew City, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The example of sub-par QB play was to make the point that coaching DOES matter.

I think there is a big difference between a team being successful (winning record, playoff team, dominant team/Super Bowl contender) and struggling. The Colts without Peyton were an outlier because Peyton was the QB and the offensive coordinator and the defense was built to hold leads and rush the passer since Peyton would get them the lead. The team was built around Peyton. They had a 7th rd rookie as their backup QB who got zero snaps. Most backup QB's with any experience can keep the team competitive. The team was bult without any safety net.

But I think you picked out the best example. Payton (not Peyton) took over the Saints in 2006 with Brees coming with him. Brees had shown promise and finished 2005 with an 89 QB rating. That shot up to 96 in his first season in NO. You might say he had a QB rating of over 100 the 2nd to last year in SD, but Brees improved going from more of a game manager to carrying the entire offense. His carrying the offense meant he threw for about a 1000 more yards while throwing fewer INT's and more TD's. Under Payton he went from a QB with promise but also doubts (he struggled for a few years so was he gonna be a QB who hung around 77 or 97). He has been an elite (and record setting QB) ever since.

But the Bounty gate gave us exactly what you'd want in this kind of discussion. Keep the personel the same but remove the head coach and defensive coordinator. The Saints won 13 games the year before and 11 games the year after. Without essentially the most important 2 coaches, the team dropped to 7-9. That's a 4-6 game swing based on only coaching changes! That's a difference between being an average team and a good/great team. That's BIG!!!

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So the light bulb clicked for Smith...but you're saying on a bad team it would go back out? Didn't he go to a bad team?

How do you explain the Saints dropping to a losing record the year they lost Payton and Williams to Bounty Gate. They were an elite team the year beofre and after. Looks like a 4-6 game swing. That's the difference between an avg team and a great team. That's a pretty big difference!!!

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So the coaching turned on the lightbulb for Smith? I thought you said coaching didn't matter and it was all the player?

So we have no chance of being better then 7-9?

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

We need to play man on their WR's, make sure we match up with Charles in the passing game (they will try and get Morgan or Wembley to cover him). bring heat but don't let Smith run.

And if they make griff the spy and he shakes free again and again like Luck did, I don't wanna hear TWW2 telling what an above average FS he is! Our focus needs to be on containing Charles and containing the easy throws!

You want a test of our tackling and run fits? Welcome Jamaal Charles!!!

5. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

No the Chiefs were not a bad team. They just didn't have a QB. Smith was the answer.

That was an outlier year. Plus they had some pretty big injuries that year. I think they were ok with just winging it and considering it a rebuilding year.

• Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 2
  6. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

8-8 is our absolute ceiling. I think we will finish 6-10

• Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 3
  7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I completely agree. Our corners should be good enough to do well in 1 on 1 vs their WR. We need to bring heat, "contain" Charles and the slants/dump offs.

We can do this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar