horse-collar rule

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Not Family?Then freak you you freakin' freak

Crackbacks are illegal too.
  2. Gunny

Gunny Lord and Master Tip Jar Donor

Jets got called on one too.
  3. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

In all fairness, Keith did make a horse collar tackle. He grabbed the back neck of the guy's jersey and pulled him down. However, in his defense, he did what he had to do to bring the guy down and he did it in a way to avoid having the guy's legs injured. If Keith hadn't made the tackle, the guy would have made a TD.
  4. Fry

Fry Hatin' is what I do.

thats my point.
  5. Nine

Nine Starter

I could be wrong, here, but I was under the impression that certain criteria had to be met in order for it to be considered a horse collar tackle.

One of the big criteria was that the defender had to land on the ballcarrier's legs. Roy Williams is a perfect example...he'd grab the pads, jump up like he was going to get a piggyback ride, then collapse onto the runner's legs.

One thing I do know....today was the first time I EVER saw a horse-collar flagged. They created the rule last year, but I don't know that anyone ever got called for one. But heck, why should I be surprised? If it wasn't for bad luck, the Titans would have no luck at all.
  6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor Tip Jar Donor

I think non-QB ballcarries can be taken with a "crackback" tackle without any issue.

The call against the jets was, if I heard the radio correctly, for a jet engaging a Titan below the waist while he was already engaged high.
  7. Gunny

Gunny Lord and Master Tip Jar Donor

yes thats right.
  8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

That would be a chop-block (not to be confused with a cut-block).

Btw, we had a rookie NFL referee so that might explain why he was (probably) the first to ever call a horse-collar foul. Might also explain the questionable intentional grounding.
  9. Nine

Nine Starter

I saw referees call two crackback blocks this weekend...one in the Titans/Jets game, and one during the Jags/Cowboys games.

In both instances, the WR was coming in to block a linebacker from the side and went for his knees. It's one thing to block a guy low, but the crackback block is pretty dirty....someone could easily end up getting injured.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.