Horror Villain Wars R1: The Thing vs. Hannibal Lecter

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SawdustMan, Apr 25, 2016.

?

?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2016.
  1. The Thing

75.0%
  2. Hannibal Lecter

25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

If the thing were real life and y'all encountered it, you'd all die from trying to love it and protect it.

Taboo noun word at you all

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

#ThingLivesMatter

• High Five High Five x 2
    • LOL LOL x 2
  3. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

The thing looks so cheesy. Like a movie you get high too and laugh at.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The Thing's general nature tells me that we have no reason to believe it just wanted to go home. It's a conquering entity.
    Yes, it builds a small saucer out of rover parts - but I think to escape another pending millennium of ice.
    In the book this movie is based off of - "Who Goes There?" the thing is bent on escaping the ice to travel to civilization and infect the populace..

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The Thing is anything but cheesy

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. XO

XO Nevada Native

The book yes but I always took that The Thing was trying to get off this planet.

It crashed in an inhospitable environment to begin with and as soon as it regained sentience it started building a space ship.

If you crashed, alone on an island wouldn't you start building a boat to go home and if the natives attacked you then you would defend yourself however you could.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

That's one interpretation.
    They don't specifically state its motive, but in 'escaping' the Norwegians and running directly to The Americans is it not simply seeking more opportunities to infect? The gun nor the grenade can truly kill the dog.
    It's infectious nature IMO means the Thing is a hunter, not just a traveler. In this aspect The Thing and the Xenomorph are similar I'd say.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Not even close. You should definitely check it out. It is a super intense movie when you are watching it for the first time.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. XO

XO Nevada Native

What is the motive for assimilation then? As virus intends to reproduce within a host until the host kills it off or the virus kills the host. The Thing didn't necessarily kill those it assimilated with and many of the attacks appeared to be reactionary in nature. It appeared too intelligent to just be a mindless virus bent on killing off all life. It covered it's tracks, it didn't want to be discovered. The Thing had no way to know if the entire planet was as inhospitable as Antarctica. In the prequel film the entire reason the ship is found is because they pick up the distress signal I believe.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The prequel is revisionist so I'm not inclined to include that material.
    But we already know from Alien that distress beacons aren't always what they are cracked up to be..

Motive for assimilation? Knowledge, malevolence and interplanetary domination is what I'm going with.
    The Thing assimilates the host essentially killing it. Blair runs a computer analysis on the assimilation process and hypothesizes that it will take over the planet in a short period.
    When The Thing assimilates a person it becomes them. They can think, speak interact exactly like the host did - without a hiccup. At this point there's no reason not to believe The Thing accrues all of their knowledge - including the knowledge that Antartica is not indicative of the rest of the planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar