Hopefully after 14 seasons Fisher has learned the value of playmakers on O

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tuk88, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

We haven't drafted in the first three rounds or signed a dynamic offensive playmaker since Fisher's been coach that I'm aware of other than Chris Johnson. We've prioritized bigger, slower players like Eddie George, LenDale White, Justin Gage, Drew Bennett... we got lucky with Derrick Mason, then let him go when his rookie contract was up, though we had little choice then.

The second half was as clear an indication as any IMO that a Wes Welker/Percy Harvin type of receiver is key during crunch time. If that doesn't convince Fisher, then this is likely to be a yearly pattern with him, who needed a miracle play to get past the first round in our lone Superbowl run.

The Titans receivers played their best game of the year, but it wasn't a typical performance, and they couldn't get open when it really mattered in the end. All in all, we need at least a poor man's version of Chris Johnson at receiver. We have nothing remotely close, Hawkins perhaps, but someone more like Harvin would be ideal.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

wes welkers/percey harvin types are valuable if you have someone to challenge the defense deep, ie randy moss.

we need a well rounded WR, not someone who is a one trick pony.

3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Just like the playmaker VY, right?

4. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

Clarifying two things!

1. I'm talking WRs and RBs. I don't advocate for 'playmakers with speed and burst' for QB per se.
    2. When I say playmaker, I refer to Fisher's promise a year ago to draft such players with speed and big playmaking ability. He actually did good on that promise, hopefully he sticks to that. Playmakers go deep, and they get open short because of that threat. DeSean Jackson is another that comes to mind.

In other words, they don't need to be 6'2" and 200 lbs, which seems to be our typical requisite when drafting early, spending in free agency. Steve Smith is 5'9 and 185 lbs, and Carolina is a run-first team. You don't need big blocking receivers to play Fisherball.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

The Dallas Cowboys have "Playmakers" They're doing well. So are the Bengals.
    You are dead wrong on every account.

Chris Henry was supposed to be a playmaker. Paul Williams was a 3rd rounder.

When Welker came in the league, people never thought he was a "playmaker"

You really went to the school of ESPN thought. You're taught well. A playmaker doesn't mean you're the fastest. Crumpler was the playmaker for the first Ravens game, he just sucked yesterday.

Justin Gage is very good. Just because he's not good on Madden....He's got the best hands in the league, IMO.
    Big names do not equal Super Bowl Wins. Ask the Patriots last year.

Not trying to offend you, but you don't have a clue. We have everything, personnel wise, to be in the Super Bowl. We didn't overachieve. We have some of the best players, they just aren't overhyped like a T.O. or a Chad Johnson.

All the Titans have shown me is the value of drafting what really matters. If you want TO, the Roy Williamses, and Overhyped Marion Barber, become a Cowboys fan.

Titans are blue collar, and always will be. I love it.
    Good day sir.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

I've been a Titans/Oilers fan for thirty years and posting on the team boards for ten, and lost my profile on this site so it looks like I'm a noob, but these are issues that I've seen raised for a long time. I don't see where the blue collar reference comes from though. Is there a tone to my posts that I'm not realizing?

I think few will argue that a large part of our success this year is because of CJ, and I think few would argue he was a large part of our success in the first half of the game vs. the Redskins.

I'm just agreeing with what Fisher said last year after we lost in the first round when he said we needed playmakers with speed on offense. It looked like we changed our philosophy last year, and hopefully it'll continue.

Paul Williams is 205 lb, Chris Henry is 230 lb... those are big guys for their positions, better suited for a power running game, which is fine, but all I'm saying is that going with smaller size and more speed ain't such a bad thing for a change when it comes to one of our starting WRs. It worked with Derrick Mason... for us and for the Ravens.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I think given the chance Hawkins can be a playmaker.

We also didn't let Mason go after his rookie contract.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Any reason why?

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

We got Tyrone Calico.
    We traded for Givens.

I wish we would've gotten Randle el. But I'm an IU homer. He is a playmaker who isn't incredibly overhyped.

10. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

Btw, having spent thirty years as a loyal Oilers/Titans fan without a Superbowl, I think I have a right to be a bit cynical when it comes to the coach, management and even ownership. It's tough love, man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar