Hooker v Adams -- Draft Wars Rd. 1

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Hammer, Apr 12, 2017.

?

Which Prospect do you prefer?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2017.
  1. Hooker

61.0%
  2. Adams

39.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansAC4

TitansAC4 Starter

Not really his skill set to be that type of a safety.

2. HonoluluYogi

HonoluluYogi Starter

Between his injury history and limited experience, can't see Hooker as the 5th pick in the draft. What he does, Byard does, and Byard is a good tackler already. I could see Adams early, and we do use a lot of 3 safety formations. I wouldn't be surprised if Adams were already gone by #5, tho'...

3. NotoriousZEUS

NotoriousZEUS Rookie

His injury history is not a big issue at all, and Byard has not shown he can be a threat at FS, much less even come close to doing the things Hooker can do at the position.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Hooker hasn't come close to showing he can do the things in the NFL people claim that he will do...

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

To be honest I'll have to go back and watch more of Byard (if that's possible) but I remember during the draft process he was viewed more as a FS. Here's his scouting report from NFLN

STRENGTHS
    Strong football IQ. Lines secondary up and is assignment-oriented. Disciplined in zone coverage reading and responding to the quarterback’s eyes. Scans through route developments like a quarterback. Good awareness as single-high safety and rarely panics when faced with route combinations meant to create mistakes and indecision. Plays with smooth backpedal and adequate footwork and looks to have. Always active. Former high school receiver with plus ball tracking and ball skills over the top. Holds school record with 19 career interceptions and has 19 passes defensed over the last two years. Effort never questioned and brings desired football character onto field and into locker room. Willing downhill charge against the run.

WEAKNESSES

Despite his frame, not as physical a hitter as expected. Had opportunities to make the big hit but rarely chose to send that message. Active tackler, but needs to be better at squaring up and finishing with direct wrap up tackles rather than grab and drag finishes. Average agility to deal with trash near line of scrimmage when stepping downhill against run or screens. Can improve his angles to the ball. Slight hitch in when redirecting opening door for dangerous separation by speedy targets. Below average mirror and match in man coverage. Scouts concerned with overall long speed in coverage.
    DRAFT PROJECTION
    Rounds 6 or 7

S
    OURCES TELL US
    "Ankle tackler so that's a concern and I just don't trust him in coverage. I know he has all the interceptions but I don't see a player who can match up in space against NFL-caliber receivers. I know some scouts love him because of his football IQ, but that’s not enough for me." -- NFC Director of Scouting

BOTTOM LINE

Byard is a four-year starter whose ball skills and high interception total has garnered him attention since his freshman season. While he has the looks of a player who could excel near the box, he lacks the consistent physicality needed and he does his best work as a deep safety. Scouts are all over the place on Byard and his draft stock will head in one direction or the other starting with his week at the Senior Bowl.

6. NotoriousZEUS

NotoriousZEUS Rookie

It's very obvious Hooker and Byard are two different players.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  7. HonoluluYogi

HonoluluYogi Starter

After just 1 year, it is too risky to take Hooker that early. JMO. I've no doubt his athleticism is superior, but smarts I would question, again his lack of experience. Hey, if he's still there at #18, it might be worth the risk...

8. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Yeah, at 18 I would pull the trigger.

Hell, take lattimore at five and pair the two back up.

I've about decided I want speed. Everywhere. It can be at corner, safety, linebacker, wr, or TE. Just get two guys that can flat run in the first round.

Better yet, trade down and get three.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So to be clear, you're saying any player with 1 year of experience shouldn't be taken in the top 5? So you're also against taking Lattimore because he pretty much only had 1 year of experience also, right?

What makes you question Hooker's smarts?

10. Maker_84

Maker_84 Starter

Yes. Draft Hooker and don't look back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar