Hook and Ladder/Lateral play

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

It's going to be a long off-season.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

Wow, so funny a thread was started about Lateraling. I was just thinking about this few days ago. I used to play Rugby and there are LOTS of plays that could be created that involve laterals. I was watching a Top 10 show about best QB Rivalries and there was a Jets game where the WR caught the ball for short gain and immediately lateraled it to a guy behind him who took it to the house. This play happened like before half time. Not late or in 4th quarter.

The play worked because on that side of the field there were only a few defenders and both went to tackle the guy who caught the ball. No one was even looking at the guy behind him, and because they were committed to the first guy, they were either on the ground or out of position. I KNOW a play like this would work today many times with players in the wrong position. BUT, in today's NFL, the WR would just have fallen for a 7 yard gain.

I know why its changed. Teams are TOO afraid to run a play that has a high chance of the 2nd player dropping the ball and causing a fumble. We all know that turnovers change the game. And if its a close game, no one wants to put the team in that kind of situation. So its not going to start happening again until we get a team with nothing to lose.

I honestly dont know why losing teams like Jags or Texans dont start running more plays like this later in the season to make things happen. Its not like what they were doing before was working.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

they always chase the ball though

4. Renfro95

Renfro95 Starter

I wouldnt be opposed to it if a team were down 17-0 and needed a spark. I dont think its something you do in a tie game or up 10-0. Largely depends on the situation.

5. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Was this inspired by the commercial of late with the hook and ladder clip? Cuz I was thinking the same thing.

6. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

True! Logic comes to play. But it doesnt matter. Teams are STILL to scared until its the last play of the game or some kind of fake punt

7. Renfro95

Renfro95 Starter

If I fall behind 17-0, I have nothing to fear. That is my logic. lol

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Haven't seen it, I don't think.

I don't even know why it came to mind now, but something triggered it yesterday.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yeah, but that Reggie Bush lateral was just stupid haha. Completely random time to lateral- no one expecting it- including his teammates.

I think if you lateraled on a kick return- you'd get chunks. And in the NFL- I don't think anyone is on their toes enough to stop it. Lots of lazy NFL players that quit on the play even when it's predictable.

Though, Roger Gooddell would make it illegal if it were effective.

10. RTH

RTH Meh...

Yeah a big difference would be a drawn - up lateral, not a spur - of - the - moment lateral.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar