Honey Badger promises he’s changed

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans Insider, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

INDIANAPOLIS The player known as the “Honey Badger” is hoping to dig himself out a hole here at the NFL Combine, and on Sunday he said all the right things in front of a curious group of reporters.

The former LSU star Tyrann Mathieu also said he wants to shed the nickname that made him so popular because he wants to leave his troubled past behind him.

“I hold myself accountable for everything I have done this past year,” he said. “It has been tough. I am not totally asking for teams to trust me right now. What I am asking is for them to give me an opportunity.”

Mathieu was a former Heisman Trophy finalist at LSU, but he was dismissed from the school last August for failing multiple drug tests, and he was arrested for marijuana possession in October.

Mathieu helped LSU get the national championship as an All-American cornerback in 2011.

He’s at the Combine hoping to prove he can still play and be a pro. He said he’s been to rehab and met with counselors in recent months. He knows he has to change. He knows his mistakes probably cost him “millions.”

“I don’t think I lost a step, and I want to show everybody I am a complete athlete,” he said. “But I am not totally focused on football right now. It is more about the person, and getting the things I’ve done wrong, getting those corrected.

“My best friend right now is honesty, because I want to be as open as possible. I want (teams) to be able to trust me.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider
  2. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

[​IMG]
    • High Five High Five x 1
  3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 Pro Bowler

Blah, blah, blah.
  4. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

5. Gunny

Gunny Lord and Master Tip Jar Donor

Can't give an old honey badger new stripes.
  6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

7. sikwiddit

sikwiddit Starter

"The former LSU star Tyrann Mathieu also said he wants to shed the nickname that made him so popular because he wants to leave his troubled past behind him."
    It was all the nicknames fault....D*MN THOSE NICKNAMES!!
  8. Ghost

maybe I should tell people to stop calling me the Tallahassee Tickler.
  9. MikeJonesDrew

MikeJonesDrew Special Teams Standout

Changed what? All i heard was he got caught smoking weed, which is b.s as a law. Anything else i havent heard so if he has anythign else against him, i dont know. But if its jut about the weed thing, gimme a break. Weed is harmless and a joke for getting arrested on. If thats all he has against him, he shouldnt worry.
  10. Ghost

Maybe he should be worried about it... seeing that the league suspends you if you pop a piss test for it. If I was the team that drafted him, I would be worried about it to.
    • High Five High Five x 1