Hoge: on Pittsburgh radio re: Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Sunshine, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omahacolt

omahacolt Starter

everyone knew that vy would suck once teams found out how to plan for him

the only people surprised are titans fans

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Bud Adams wanted to Draft VY only because he wanted to pay back the Texan owners who wanted VY really bad. WTF!

Jeff Fisher did not want VY.

Great Job Bud Adams! this needs to be posted in the Morning paper.

it makes me sick knowing we could have Jay Cutler if not for Bud Adams having ego issues with the new Texan owners.

3. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

bro...even if we didn't pick VY, we would've picked Leinart...Jay Cutler wasn't even part of the discussion and everybody knows it

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Actually, the tale of Fisher talking to the Denver coach about Cutler, explaining that Cutler was the real deal, that he would fit in their system, and that TEN was not taking him pokes a few holes in Hoge's story.

If Fisher was fighting the pick up until draft day, then that story would have been different.

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Lets all huddle in a circle and cry about having VY

6. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

The guy was just talking to bash him. Just talking about his college career he just made up stuff. I've followed Big 12 recruiting for many years and Oklahoma never gave up on trying to get vy. Also he tries to downgrade vince's rose bowl performance by saying there were a lot of teams who scored more against usc that year. In reality usc had one team score more points and it was fresno who scored one more point. Texas scored 41 and usc only allowed 3 teams to score more than 30 all year. The guy even tries to bash the guys college career even though everyone on here can agree he was the best player that year. The guy's a joke and all the real analysts at espn know that he's an idiot.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

The story here is not Hoge's criticism of Vince Young. Every point he brings up about Vince's performance is old news....arguments that were run into the ground long before this story broke.

What really bothers me is this:

Two years ago, before Vince Young had ever taken a single regular season snap, Hoge made it his mission in life to destroy the public's perception of Vince Young. He repeatedly expounded to the world that Vince Young would be a colossal failure in the NFL, and that his demise would set the Titans organization back years.

"The dismantling of a franchise based on a bad third pick of a quarterback in the first round" (or something like that.)

"He won't be able to run around like that against the bigger, faster defenders in the NFL."​

etc, etc, etc......

So what does Vince do? He goes out and wins OROY. He takes a pitiful 0-5 team and leads them to 8 wins in 11 games, beating multiple playoff teams along the way. (Including the eventual Super Bowl champion Colts, a nemesis the Titans had not beaten since 2002). Young also accounts for more combined TD's than any rookie QB since Peyton Manning, and breaks multiple rookie records along the way.

In short, Merril Hoge staked his reputation and integrity on Vince Young's failure....and Vince made Hoge his beeyotch.

Fast forward two years, and Young is struggling with poor play on the field, and personal/emotional issues off the field.

Suddenly Hoge is back on the airwaves, just in time to rub salt in the wounds.

After the first "Hoge vs. VY" thing, this guy was a complete laughingstock...and he's kept his trap shut ever since. But now that Vince has hit bottom, Hoge has somehow found the courage to jump in and kick him while he's down. Big man.

Hoge does this without ever admitting that his original predictions were proven to be total garbage, or giving Vince any credit whatsoever for what he accomplished in his rookie season.

We already knew Hoge was an arrogant, self-righteous *****, but this is over the line. What he did is grossly inappropriate, and constitutes a serious breach of professionalism, and a gross betrayal of trusted conversations that were clearly never meant for public consumption.

I won't be a bit surprised if Hoge ends up getting axed from ESPN over this. And he has only himself to blame.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Thank You. I kept waiting for someone to say exactly what I was thinking because, quite frankly, I've gotten tired of these threads.

I can't understand how you can't tell the difference between normal criticism and Merril Hoge. Jaws was critical of VY when he was drafted, too. But when Vince did well, Jaws gave him credit for it. He never blasted Young about being the end of our franchise or anything like that. I have no problem with Hoge having an opinion on Young. That's his right, and his job. But there is a line you don't cross, and Hoge went across it when he claimed that a 21 year old kid who hadn't ever played an NFL game would "dismantle a franchise". That's too far.

9. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

Very well said Nine!

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

"The dismantling of a franchise based on a bad third pick of a quarterback in the first round"

"I think all three QBs are going to be great."

Joe theisman was the won who said all three(young, cutler, lienart) would be great.

You want milk toast comments like that? Or a guy who lets his opinions be known?

What bothers me with this hoge situation is that we are squelching opinion. A large amount of the backlash against hoge has been because his negative opinion was directed at a black QB. If he was heaping all this negativity towards lienart i seriously doubt if anyone would care outside arizona.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar