Hoge burries the hatchet

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

FWIW, I discuss the quarterback position on my favorite team because I've watched the NFL evolve into a QB league. Do you think its a coincidence that Bill Polian has been one of the leading figures in changing rules that favor the QB and receivers? As a game evolves, the front office must adapt and evolve with it. The Titans have chosen not to do that.

I've watched some of the best running backs in this league go an entire career without any rings. All sorts of record breaking seasons have been had the past 6-7 years, and what good did that running game do for the teams success when February rolled around? Tomlinson, Alexander, Holmes, CJ *cough, cough* It's a PASSING league...if your goal is to win championships.

I've watched teams build up some really good defenses too, and have a 'game manager' at the QB position. It took maybe the best defense of all time in the 2000 Ravens that were able to bail out their QB enough to win it all.

It is crystal clear to me that you have to score POINTS to win Super Bowls. If your defense or a couple bad breaks (fumbles, etc) gets you down 2 scores early, you MUST have a QB that can score in a hurry...like Peyton getting down 17-3 or whatever he was down to the Jets in the AFC title game.

There is ALWAYS 1 team with a terrible quarterback and a mostly defense oriented team that makes it to the conference title game. This year it was the Jets. Last year it was the Ravens. I hope that team isn't us next year. Maxing out at reaching a final four shouldn't be the goal of a team, or its fans.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

All 3 of those QB's are in situtations completely different than Young in the fact that the organizations that drafted them already had quality weapons or acquired weapons.
    Lions - Calvin Johnson Fins - Ted Ginn Sanchez-B Edwards
    Now maybe they haven't performed to their potential; but they are WR's that were drafted in the first round. It took the Titans 3 years to get Britt. I think Young has done very well with what he's been given and what he was asked to do. At this point you are right; he is still a game manager but he is emerging as far as the limitations of a Jeff Fisher coached offense will allow him.
    He's never going to throw for 30 TD's and 3800 yards but I'll take 2500 Yds Passing, 550 yds Rushing and 20 TDs combined as well as clutch performances.
    The link showing him ranked #15 was to show that he is in fact in the top half of the league as a QB. He's more than capable of running the show; give it time and put on your seatbelt because it's gonna be a hell of a ride.
    Now if we could only draft CJ Spiller ....or Dez Bryant

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Ted Ginn sucks. And Calvin Johnson would be great, but Stafford has an O-Line that is so terrible Vince couldn't even begin to imagine.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

lol, you'll gladly blame the defense for Rodgers but not for Young. Again 31st ranked and 25th ranked.

Again 31st ranked and 25th ranked.

But how long to win a playoff game?

A top defense eh? You mean that one ranked 31st his rookie year? Or the one that ranked 25th or whatever this year?

What was our defensive ranking that year and running game ranked what?

Rodgers, Manning, Romo all cream right? ZERO wins, 5 years and 5 years.
    But you'll gladly make excuses for them, right.

5. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

Hey I'm not saying Ginn is great; I'm just saying the organization took a chance and drafted a WR early, very early in his case. We've got the Line, we've got the QB, we've got the RB, now build around him. Give him and Britt some time to gel; they're only going to get better. I'm not a pure classical VY homer but I do like him and I'm excited to see what he can do this year. As I said in an earlier post; the sky is the limit with him and the only thing that can hold him back is his ego. I think the humbling experience is just what the doctor ordered. Give the kid a chance, he's our QB for better or for worse for the immediate future. Things coud be worse; what if we had Leinart, Alex Smith, Duhmarcus Russell, or yes even Cutler.
    Those guys are not competitors; Young has shown me that he is. I'll concede that he needs to improve on his decision making, situational awareness, clock management and accuracy but I had the same concern with Mac9 initially. Those will come with experience and I liked the improvement I saw this last year. He's not all the way there but he has come a long way and to be fair he has a lot of strengths. We just need to hang in there and be patient. I believe a Lombardi trophy is imminent.:) (Of course I said that during Warren Moon and Steve McNair too; but that's why I'm a fan)

"My team, right or wrong, my team" ----luvyablue23 lol

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Based on his past, If Vince would have started in game 1 this year, he would probably already taken his own life. Take a look at our defense and schedule pre-Vince and post-Vince last year. He owes Fisher his life for not starting him until after that New England game.

I'm anxious to hear the excuses next year when we go 8-8 as to how CJ, our defense, receivers, etc all let us down. An old washed up bum took the same team to 13-3, I'm crossing my fingers that the QB who I'm trying to be convinced is our future can outplay him heading into his 5th season.

So far, they're about dead even. Yet you want to give Vince the credit for the teams wins, except when Kerry is in, then it's our defense and run game.

ps, to even begin to say that Vince is a winner and Aaron Rodgers isn't is absolutely hilarious. You lose all credit for anything you say very quickly. Rodgers' defense gave up more yardage and points than Vince can put together in a month in their playoff appearance.

7. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Vy! Vy! Vy! Vy! Vy! Vy! Vy!

8. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

Stopped reading right there.

You are full of LOL and fail.

That is all.

9. KingTitan

KingTitan aka CRONUS

Man, I sense a dark, gloomy aura around your posts!:hmm: Not feeling too well? Or just like to be contrary? Come on, you know winning records are a team effort. We just lazily attribute it to the QB. But who ever had a winning record with a crappy QB?

10. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Funny you should ask. In 2008, some team went 13-3 with an old washed up bum. And, as expected in the playoffs, were unable to put up enough points against a quality opponent.

Was it Einstein that said it best?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar