History Says We Lose Week One...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I hate to be a downer. I've gone on board as predicting a 9-7 record, even though I don't know where a couple of those wins will come from. I'm hoping that I'm wrong in making this point... But the Titans are probably going to lose this week, unless we change many things...

Looking back, we've almost always started slowly the last few years. Out of the last five seasons, we've only started out with an even record or winning record once, in 2003. O-4, 1-3, 1-3, 3-1, and 1-3 have been our sept. records.

The Jags have only had a losing record in Sept. once in those five years. 2-1, 2-1, 3-0, 0-3, and 3-1.

Looking more closely, the Jags were our biggest challenge the last two years. We've been blown out 2 of the 4 games, and the 4th, we won because we had a miraculous 21 points scored by our defense. In that game, we were outgained 4 to 1!!! That's insane!

I understand and support the whole "finding a way to win" arguments about last season, and that's great. But really, we need to find a way to change a lot about how we play this team.

Home field advantage has been a strong point in the last three years of this rivalry. They have it, despite our potshots at their lackluster fan base.

Many things need to change. We have to find a way to get some offensive production going. The Jags have torn Vince up. We need to either get running, or have Vince complete some passes. We need to stop their strong running game. Mostly, we need to show that we've gotten it together faster this season than in the last five.

I hope we can do those things. I hope to see us surprise people this year, and start strong. But, historically, that's not our style.

I don't mean this thread to be a downer, but to be a realistic expectation of what might happen down there. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we're going to win.

2. GoTitans3801

Some factors in our favor...

Their starting center is out for the next few weeks...

They just named their starter at QB 7 days before the first game...

Vince Young. I hope he remembers what it feels like to get beaten up in Jacksonville, because this is one guy that can turn us around, and get us started on the right foot.

The offseason. We've had record participation in optional workouts, and seem to be more focused.

I hope these things make a difference, and we can start being a team that comes in strong.

3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Guido and Vinnie out in Vegas are giving us 6.5 pts right out of the gate! Even with the Jags QB unrest.

4. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Vince Young doesn't succumb to history...he makes it.

5. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'm not so concerned about the fact that we've started slowly the last 5 years - not only were most of those years simply bad all around, but virtually the entire team and coaching staff are different now. But it's true we used to own the Jags and they've had our number lately. I've predicted this will be the toughest of our 1st 3 games.

The good news is that the Jags have simply beaten us up - exactly what we used to do to other teams. They have been the most physical team on the field, and if we want the trend to change we have to get back to that type of football. So far it looks like that's exactly what our FO has tried to do this offseason. The defense has responded and looks like they are going to be a hard-hitting, physical unit this year. If so, we will keep it close - and I'll take VY under pressure over Gerrard under pressure.

7. ezeblazin

ezeblazin Starter

I agree 100% with the post. The Jags, Broncos and Chargers are the teams that scare me the most this season. We weren't able to move the ball at all against the Jags last season.

If we play the same way against them this year our playoff chances won't be as good. If Vince has a good game on Sunday, then every single team in the league better start to fear us.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Because Vince is unpredictable, I don't think whatever gameplan they have will always work. I don't think they own us like we owned them. Vince ought to be able to wreak havoc on their D just by being Vince.

9. GoTitans3801

Maybe 2003 and 2002 don't mean as much, but if you take those out of consideration, our chances get worse, not better. Our one good start was 2003, the Jags one bad start was that same year. Many people have changed, but the coaches haven't, and not as many have changed in the most recent year.

If we can come out and make a strong statement, it really will be a great sign for our year, and I'll be pumped. But it's going to be a tough game, and we have a ways to go. Let's hope we get there by the end of the week.

10. GoTitans3801

I agree that their gameplan won't always work, and that we owned them then far more than they've recently owned us.

But this was the one team that Vince had two chances against, and he did NOTHING against them. One garbage time TD out of two games. The second one he didn't make as many bad mistakes, but he didn't produce anything to help out the team.

I definitely think that one of the things that HAS to happen for us to win this game is that we have to get production from young. But he hasn't yet shown it against the Jags. Hopefully we'll see offseason growth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar