High Expectations Follow Gage After Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Justin Gage had a lot of pressure on him last season. But it was to make the team. This year, after a $14 million contract in February which guarantees him $6.5 million, the pressure is to produce. "I know things are going to be different. Defenses will focus on me more, and it's going to make it tougher," Gage said. "But at the same time, it is not as much pressure as trying to make a roster spot, wondering, 'If I mess up, are they going to cut me?'" Gage now wants to take his game to the next level. "Now I feel confident, and I know others have confidence in me. ... I know we're looking for a 1,000-yard receiver and someone who can put up seven to 10 touchdowns. Hopefully I can be that guy."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. OswegoTitan41

OswegoTitan41 Starter

love gage, i'd like to see him get 2 or 3 steps faster but great hands

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

"I know we're looking for a 1,000-yard receiver and someone who can put up seven to 10 touchdowns"

thats more pass TD's than we had all of last year.

4. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

12 Gage is our best weapon so far this year with J.Mac at # 2, the fight will be on for a 3 & 4 spot on the depht chart ..:logo:

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I was surprised to hear them say that Gage would be our #1 WR. That's the first time I think the Titans have named a #1 WR since Mason left.
    Maybe it's a ploy.
    I'm not sure any of our WRs is that much better than another. It would appear that the Titans strategy is to load up with mediocre wideouts and keep inter-changing them at the line.
    I'm willing to bet that at the end of the season, our best WR will accually be a TE.
    But the lineup looks good, on paper that is. Justin and Justin on the line with Stevens and Crumpler in at TEs and Johnson looming in the backfield. Should give some Defensives Cords some nightmares.

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

he can catch a ball like nobody's business

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't care if he hits 1000 yards, if he matches his production from last year and a couple of the other guys develop a little more, I'm happy. I'm not looking for 4000 yards passing out of this offense.

8. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

The thing about having a #1 isn't that he's just good, but that he demands a greater number of throws because everyone knows his ability. Like when you have a great RB in his prime and the running game isn't working--you don't stop running, because you know what you've got: you work the kinks out. But when you don't know what you have at RB and the running game shuts down, then the attempts grow fewer and fewer, confidence dwindles, and it regresses even further. If Gage can demand that kind of confidence, I'm all for it. Maybe Brady or Manning could turn him into David Givens or Deion Branch in their Patriots days, but I just don't see the coaches saying to themselves: "we've got to get the ball to this guy."

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I think Gage will get better but I don't know if he will ever be great. He's a very good #2 WR but I'm pulling for him to be a qaulity #1 WR who we can count on for 1000 and 7-10 year in and year out.

I'm a big fan of Gage though and I'm pulling for him but it's VY that needs to step it up not just Gage.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I agree with gotians3801. I don't care what we call him #1 or whatever if he can give us 50 catches that is fine. Last year he was hungry playing for his career and this year he might not be so hungry. If he can give us 50 catches the other guys will take care of the rest........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar