HEY, look at THIS!!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Cortland Finnegan was a sparkplug as a nickel back. And now as a starter, he did an excellent job carrying that spark the whole game. He played solid coverage, didn't let anyone get behind him, made plays on the ball, attacked ball carries with wreckless abandon, and hustled across the field to make a TD saving tackle on a running play.

Yes, McNabb only played a quarter, but the Eagles WR's are no slouches and the Titans had no pass rush the entire game so keeping the Eagles from a big pass play was notable.

Finnegan has earned a starting spot in my eyes until further notice. He's played his way into the starting role.

AS FOR ALL THE PEOPLE REPEATING FISHER SPEAK TO ME ABOUT HOW NICKEL BACK AND OUTSIDE CB ARE DIFFERENT POSITIONS BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Finnegan, a 7th rnd rookie made the switch from nickel to outside CB in one week. Don't tell me you can't flip flop the CB's as I've said for the last 5 years. We just did it and did it very successfully. Right now I'd be trying Woolfolk out at FS and Nickel in practice cause LT is the next guy to be replaced. Fuller was solid at Nickel and flew around tackling. I'd consider playing him at FS and Woolfolk (or even King) at Nickel. Shake it up. When you find pieces that fit (starting Finnegan), keep them there til they don't fit.

LT did make one nice pass play, but he can certainly be upgraded!

Gut

2. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

I agree with your post 100%!!!!

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Gut, Finnegan is on the depth chart as the #2 out there. So he has been getting work on the outside since training camp. It's not like he was introduced to the position on Tuesday.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No but Fisher still put Woolfolk instead of Pacman refering to how Finnegan should concentrate on the nickel......

5. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

this would be my DB line-up if i had the decision...

CB-Pacman & Finnegan
    NB- Finnegan, Hill would replace him outside on nickel downs
    FS-Fuller
    SS-Hope

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

That's a fact :yes:

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Easier said than done..

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fisher rarely will put an inexperienced player in over an experienced one. It's his M.O. that has rarely changed since I've followed the team.

9. Titanville

Titanville Need New Coach

Never too late to change and try something different and WOW, look what happened when ventured outside the box so to speak. Granted it was forced on him and not a choice but it still worked and with the way the D has played it couldn't hurt to try it every once in a while.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The point was for the last several years, the argument as been that a nickel CB CAN'T play the outside or vice versa because they're 2 completely different positions. I argued that they aren't.

I suggested that Woolfolk (coming into this year) compete for both outside CB (#2) and the nickel and again it was suggested that they can only work on one position. Clearly, this isn't the case.

While Finnegan may run outside CB with the 2nd team D, he easily stepped in this week and played BETTER than our previous #2 CB so obviously it didn't slow him down any.

Meaning, we should start utilizing Woolfolk and Fuller at both Nickel/FS and see which pieces fit best.

It's also possible Fuller starts at FS and when we go nickel, Fuller goes to Nickel back and Woolfolk comes in at FS. Lowry should also be given a nice look.

For the most part, LT isn't getting it done and it's time to see if Fuller, Woolfolk or Lowry can do a better job.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar