Hey Ewker - about VY....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Hooky Hornstein, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Most Pass Completions
    34-Tom Brady, Michigan vs. Alabama, Orange, Jan. 1, 2000 (46 attempts)

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Well Texas fans, here is the problem. Vince is a great runner, one of the best I have ever seen. You forget we had McNair here for many years, and after his 3rd year, he started developing into a good QB. His legs got receivers open many times. He also ran a great deal, and early on had great success. Eventually that running took its toll, and he just wasn't the best at picking a defense apart when he wasn't as agile. So the concerns you see here about Vince's passing are justified. If this is to be our franchise QB, we just don't want a repeat of that happening. He has been fortunate running, and hasn't gotten injured yet, but several times this year we have seen him laying on the field holding his ankle, and he even hurt it again last week just dropping back to pass. Right now this team is totally dependant on him staying healthy, and with someone running as much as he does, you have to admit it's a concern. This is why I hope he can get his passing skills to another level, so he doesn't have to run quite so much. He can take a hit upstairs, but eventually some corner is going to chip his legs out from under him.

3. ico4498

ico4498 Guest

:yes: :ha:

4. moose4now

moose4now Starter

You've got to like that. :brow:

5. ROCKYMTNTITAN

ROCKYMTNTITAN Camp Fodder

We should take up a collection to buy Ewker a Vince Young jersey...I'll pitch in $10...

6. So completing more than 65% of his passes (to Cutler's 59%, by the way) last year didn't convince you that he's something more than a running QB?

Completing 30 out of 40 in the National Championship game didn't convince you that he's anything more than a running QB?

Seriously, what kind of evidence does it take? Have you even watched him play?

7. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

I hear what you’re saying. I see Earl Campbell around town from time to time and for a man who has to be only about 52 years-old, he moves about like he’s 90. Even though Vince Young doesn’t carry 30 times a game, nor does he lower his shoulders to punish linebackers like Earl did, there is still no doubt that running is punishing and that it does take its toll. So I honestly respect your point of view.

But just remember that even non-running quarterbacks take their share of abuse too. In fact, nothing’s more vicious than a sitting duck getting blindsided in the pocket.

I don’t know if you were a fan of this franchise in the late ‘70s but Dan Pastorini took a licking. Outside this franchise other non-running quarterback injuries I can think of off the top of my head was the Redskin’s Joe Theisman’s horrific leg snap along about the mid-‘80s. And Troy Aikman who played behind of the better OLs of the time had to hang up his cleats because of recurrent-concussions.

But as for VY, you say you’d like to see him take his passing skills to another level. I think that will happen. The man has an incredible work ethic and he’s very smart. He steadily improved his passing skills each year he was at Texas and in doing so he did cut down on his running slightly.

year / completion percentage / yards / TDs to INTs
    2003 / 58.7 / 1155 / 6-7
    2004 / 59.2 / 1849 / 12-11
    2005 / 65.2 / 3036 / 26-10

year / rushes-yards / YPC / TDs
    2003 / 135-998 / 7.4 /11
    2004 / 167-1189 / 6.5 / 14
    2005 / 155-1050 / 6.8 / 12

8. Hooky Hornstein

Not that many of you care, but as an FYI for anybody who likes comedy…

24 hours ago a Houstonian posted on www.hornfans.com (a Texas Longhorn fansite) that “All of the Titans Bandwagonning is ridiculous.” The guy has been absolutely slammed by Texas fans ever since. There’s been about 150 posts in the last 24 hours and while there is a small smattering of Texan fans who hate Bud Adams, the overwhelming response is that most Texas fans, Dallas fans, old Oiler fans and some Texan fans have all become Titans fans, thanks to Vince Young.

Y’all may find some of the posts amusing. There was one in there about “why should Texans give a damn about Tennessee?” and someone else replied “because if it wasn’t for some volunteers from Tennessee, we’d all be soccer fans in Mexico right now.” Heh! Classic stuff.
    http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4657932&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Nice job Hooky, I liked both of your posts. And I realize QB's can get hurt in the pocket. I hate to admit I am old enough to remember Dan #7, but we are talking about true pocket passers versus QB's that are mobile enough to not get killed. Tony Romo comes to mind. He just slides enough to get room to make the pass. Vince is certainly capable of that, and I am glad he is good on his feet. When his passing skills come up, I envision the same type thing. Just stay alive long enough to get someone open without risking injury downfield. Fortunately Vince heads for the sideline most of the time anyway, which suits me fine. Get the first down, and reload.

10. Hooky Hornstein

That sounds reasonable to me, TNThunder. I’d like to think that Vince Young will still be around 15 years from now and will have evolved into just a mobile quarterback who can throw any pass but still scramble on the rare occasion it’s called for.

In fact, one thing that has worried me a little is that Jeff Fisher and Norm Chow are so actively encouraging Vince to use his feet. That’s quite a departure from last year when Mack Brown and Greg Davis encouraged him to trust his passing skills more.

But I suppose it’s worked out all right so far.

And it actually looks like the game has slowed down for Vince these last couple of weeks. Throughout practice, preseason and the first 9 games of the year or so, VY looked poised and there were flashes of talent but he also looked like he was in over his head at times. Now he’s just beginning to look like he’s totally in command.

Don’t be surprised if one of these weekends he’ll have a 21 of 24 outing or something insane like that and you’ll be able to say the three incompletions were two drops and a spike.

VY was pretty average at passing his first year and half at Texas and then suddenly something clicked and he became Phil Simms in Super Bowl XXI. These last couple of weeks I could’ve sworn I was seeing that same kind of transformation take place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar