Here's a great Fisher take... Explains my feelings about him

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by lateknight, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tight Uns

Tight Uns I'm a girl, dude

I'll admit that I've always been in Fisher's corner. I was blinded by his sexy crinkly eyes and his SB halftime speech

The past week has really opened my eyes.

Fire Fisher.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I was behind the curve. I defended Fisher (and still will defend his run-game-strong-defense mindset) for years. This episode with VY is upsetting but I really don't care if my QB and coach have it out after every game as long as I can't say this about them:

I've seen the light.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

Yeah, you really can't argue with that article.

The one that sticks out to me: Two 13-3/#1 seed seasons and 2 opening round losses.

4. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Factually Wrong. #1 seeds don't play in opening round games.

5. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

You know what he meant..don't be a douche.

6. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Jerome Solomon? Who?
    Hmmmm, a Houston writer and probably a VY fan.

He says "Jeff Fisher-led teams have reached the postseason six times in his 17 years as an NFL head coach."

Nice blanket statement. Sure, even though Fisher took over a 1-9 team with 6 games left in 1994 he should have gotten the Oilers in the playoffs. Sure.
    How about year 17? Oh yeah, it's still going.

How about narrowing it down to the Tennessee Titans because I couldn't care less what Fisher did with the Oilers. I became a fan in 1999, when the team finally had a home and fan base. Do Patriot fans care what Belichick did in Cleveland? I don't care what Fisher did in Houston.

That leaves 6 playoff trips in 11 seasons in the same division that maybe the best QB to ever play has been in.

Only one season did the Titans have the most talent and that was 2000-01 and a couple of players (George, Del Greco) choked against the best Defense of all time.

Jerome Solomon

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

There's a whole lot of rationalizing going on in that post.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

By the way, this story is old news. Sal Palantonio tried to bad mouth Fisher over 2 years ago. Here

"Here we go again. I guess ESPN has nothing better to feed NFL fans during the offseason than more of Sal Paolantonio’s “Overrated/Underrated” drivel. I wrote last year about this contrived book that Sal had written trying to label NFL players and coaches. I couldn’t believe how he had Barry Sanders, Brett Favre, and Jeff Fisher as overrated. ESPN, for some reason, has decided to use excerpts of this book as filler on their website during the summer.

I just laughed when I saw the latest piece on how Jeff Fisher is overrated. It amazes me that ‘national’ media members seem to look at a few numbers on a piece of paper and label people. Yes, Fisher’s team went 8-8 all three seasons from 1996-1998, but anybody with knowledge of the situation knows that the Oilers/Titans were a lame duck in Houston, a complete wanderer in Memphis, and a semi-vagabond at Vanderbilt during those years. That was actually an accomplishment to win 24 games when your franchise is homeless. Also, I love this quote from the book regarding the Titans/Rams Super Bowl: “Titans finish the 1999 regular season 13-3, advance to Super Bowl XXXIV against the Rams. Kurt Warner plays pitch and catch all day.” Is that why the score was 16-16 with two minutes to go? Sal tries to slam Fisher’s defense because they gave up the big play to Isaac Bruce, but he fails to mention that they played without their two starting safeties in that game. Once again, a quick attempt to judge a coach by using stats, without giving you the full story."

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. RTH

RTH Meh...

Great article. Hits the nail on the head.

STATS AND EVERYTHING.

The only thing he got wrong, I believe, is Fisher's ONE championship... the AFC. That one year. Over a decade ago.

Yay.

Also very telling that the only person "attacking" this article had to start with the person who wrote it.

What an arrogant, uninformed... I'm going to be censored... that poster is. :sad2:

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I was level headed. Now I'm irrational. Thing is, I still want him gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar