Help me out Xboxers...

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by VolnTitan, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

In addition to getting a couple of new PS3 games, I thought I would maybe get an Xbox 360 so I can play online with some buddies at work. But not sure which edition to get. I was under the impression that the Xbox was a cheaper (cost wise) unit, but when I looked at the store, it was $350. Add the $99 I would need so it would be wireless, it was $450 all told. I need it to be wireless because the TV I would hook it up to doesn't have an ethernet connection. Do they not make an edition with wireless built in?

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I wish they did, but this is greedy Microsoft we're talking about. It's ridiculous that they charge 99 bucks for the online adapter.
    But, I believe you can use any USB online adapter (not sure what they're called), and many can be had for a lot less than 100 bucks.
    I assume you already have a router? If not, guess what? That's another 100 bucks or so.

3. Toly

Toly Free your mind

Your ability to go online is not related in any way to your TV. You simply plug in the ethernet cable (that comes with the 360 and PS3) to your router/modem, assign an IP, DNS, etc. under network settings and you're ready to go.

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Yes I have a router. And my ability to go online absolutely is related to my TV when my wireless router is upstairs and the TV I would be using it on is downstairs.

I am really surprised now that I am shopping the xbox. Disregarding the game selection where right now Xbox is better, the PS3 is the better "value". Now, about value...where would the best place to get the xbox be AND if anyone knows of a cheaper wireless option, that would be great. I am really surprised they haven't put the wireless option in with the Elite instead of a 120 gb. HD.

5. glorify

glorify Starter

Have a 360 upstairs. Router and pc is in the basement. If you don't want to run the cable to a modem, (or can't), then you have to spring for the $99 adapter. You have to make sure you have a wireless router tho.

Then, you have to spring for XBox Live Gold. You can find a 13 month sub for about $49.

I rarely experience any lag at all--you'll love XBox Live, but it is expensive to initially get started.

The nice thing is that if you have kids--you can download demos before you buy a game so you don't buy a game and they never play it.

Here's my setup :)

[​IMG]

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Trying to find the best deals on a system. Does Costco carry them?

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

laughs at people thinking the PS3 is expensive.

8. PS3 is by far the better buy, with its new version, its 399, wireless built it, free online play, and IMO way easier to use and better technology.

360 costs 350 off the bat, then you have to buy wireless which is another 100, then you pay $60 a year xbox live, you end up saving ALOT of money with PS3, i went with ps3 and haven't looked back..

9. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

I think he has a PS3 already and wanted to know about the 360. But idk. PS3 all da way

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Gotta get a HD-DVD drive for the 360 as well don't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar