HELP! Internet problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Soxcat, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

OK guys I need your help. On my home computer I can't get on the internet. I have a good connection through my cable modem. In fact, I can play internet games through the game itself but when I try to get on the internet with Internet Explorer or Mozilla it says it cannot find server.

I run Windows XP home version.
    I have tried system restores going back to when I could get on the net.
    When I go to Network Connections it says I'm connected on local area connection. I have tried hitting the [Repair] under the support tab.

This is a real head scratcher :crazy: but I'm sure one of you computer literate guys can help a fellow Titans fan out.

Thanks

2. maximus

maximus Starter

Buy a Mac:lol:
    Check you internet settings, from the sound of things, something is messed up with the internet settings(I had the same problem earlier this year)

3. Try running this:
    http://www.pchell.com/downloads/WinsockXPFix.exe

In theory, this should fix networking issues with the Windows software. It's no guarantee, but it's fixed a bunch of my clients' networking issues when nothing else seemed to work.

*** This may not help since you are kind of connected, but it's worth a shot.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Sometimes you might get a "modem freeze" ... this likely won't work but it's worth a shot if you get too desperate... unplug the modem...wait a minute...restore power and then try. It has worked for me in the past but is hardly a cure-all.

5. It sounds like the connection is fine, it's just getting out via web browsers are the problem. So it wouldn't be the modem. Possibly a firewall blocking your web browsers somehow?

Also, in your browser settings, make sure it isn't trying to connect via some kind of proxy server.

6. Yvette

Yvette Starter

For reasons unknown to me, every so often I have to either shut down ZoneAlarm or reboot. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, updated and coagulated. Still have to reboot but I'll live with it.

7. NYTitansFan

NYTitansFan Guest

are you on a network connecting from another computer in your house? if so try reseting the base if that does not work try to enable wireless network connection in network connections folder if you use a wireless reciver to get internet from a router

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

zonealarm is a good place to start
    also check to see if MS WIN firewall is enabled too

this is where 'msconfig' can come in handy if it's a startup issue

here's what I've found works best Soxcat

1a - disable ALL firewall / anti-virus programs and uninstall AOL if it's on your computer.

1- turn off your PC

2- disconnect power from your modem

2- disconnect power from your router (if you have one)

3- check cable / dsl line to modem from source

4- check cable connection from modem to router and from router to PC

5- IF YOU ARE ON CABLE MAKE SURE YOU AREN"T INLINE OF A SPLITTER - I had some spped issues earlier this year that concluded that by the time the cable hit my modem it had passed through 2 splitters and was affecting source signal to the modem - which is essential
    -the solution was to add a splitter at the line as it hit my house. a 2-way. One way goes directly to the modem

NOW

A- reconnect power to modem .... wait at least a minute or until all the lights have stopped cycling. if they don't stop or once they do you don't get Activity action then disconnect power and start again

B- after the modem has cycled and locked on, reconnect power to router
    again, wait for the router to lock

C- Power on your PC

another thing to do if the modem works and the router don't is to connect directly to the modem

your issue sounds more like a browser conflict
    like Mozilla and IE are fighting over the same port
    AOL causes these same issues

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

and if all else fails, take a vacation from headaches and buy :
    [​IMG]

or an iMac
    [​IMG]

You'll never look at computing the same

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar