Helmet to helmet

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by tex-titan, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tex-titan

tex-titan Camp Fodder

Does anybody else think the NFL is about to trade concussions for neck injuries?

2. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

I think they are ruining the game. As a player you know the risks of playing the game. You signed up for it. If your afraid to have an injury end your career or possibly your life don't play the game. I had my leg broken in 3 places and was in a wheelchair for six months of my life. But, Did I blame the guy or quit playing the game? NO!!! I came back the next year and continued playing the game I love. I remember when they use to have a reel of big hits before the Madden games. That doesn't happen anymore. They don't want to portray the league as violent. It's a VIOLENT sport. Let it stay that way or just put 2 flags on the guys and call it a day. As a fan, and former player, I am very disappointed with all the "player safety" rules.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Arcane

Arcane One Day...

Why is everyone freaking out about this? The rules have not changed, they are the same as they have always been.

The only difference is, the penalties for breaking the rules will be a lot worse.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

There should be a rule against wearing helmets...helmets are just used as weapons, and give you a false sense of security...at the most, all they need is a light-leather helmet...

This guy didn't get a concussion...

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. tex-titan

tex-titan Camp Fodder

Ok, so on a highway the speed limit is 65 mph but the police never patrol the road. Then one day the police are there everyday giving out tickets for $600.

The law never changed. Penalties increased. Enforcement was increased.

Do you think behaviors might change?

If players fear big fines and suspensions, will they drop their heads at the last instant before impact to avoid helmet to helmet contact? If they do will we see an increase in spinal injuries?

6. Arcane

Arcane One Day...

The NFL police have always patroled that road. They have always given out fines for breaking the rules. The only difference will be instead of a $100 fine you will get a $500 fine and may even get your license suspended depending on how bad you were speeding.

Will it change behaviour? Not realy since almost everyone follows the rules anyway.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

That guy played with a bunch of slow white guys.

It's kind of like saying people should be able to smoke weed when driving because people don't get hurt driving 15mph.

8. tex-titan

tex-titan Camp Fodder

Maybe you should look at everybody's helmets at the end of the game and tell me if you really believe this.

There are countless helmet to helmet hits in every NFL game. Go find me a nice shinny helmet from any lineman at the end of the year/game and I will pay you a million bucks.

Those helmets aren't beat up from rolling around in the grass or from hitting body parts.

9. Arcane

Arcane One Day...

You are misunderstanding the rule. It is Legal to hit helmet to helmet on a player who has full control of the ball and is able to defend himself. This includes running backs and receivers.

The Helmet to helmet and arm to helmet or whatever else is only a problem against a Defenseless player (i.e. a receiver who is trying to catch the ball or just caught the ball and has not had time to react or any other player who is deemed to be Defenseless).

Do some research on the subject man.

In fact a running back for the browns in the steelers/browns game sunday was knocked out with a direct helmet to helmet hit and the guy who did the hit was not fined at all for that play. Watch here around the 1:20-1:30 mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGj91sI0Fs

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

From Rich McKay
    "A lot of people call it helmet-to-helmet but that's really not the way you can call it anymore because in essence it says that until a player has completed the act of a catch, you cannot initiate contact to the head or neck area with your shoulder, your forearm or your helmet," McKay said. "That was expanded two years ago because there were so many hits going on where there was a shoulder hit that was going to the receiver and causing injury."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar