Head scratching offensive packages...play calling

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I'm thrilled that we won, but still have major questions about Palmer as the OC. Multiple times last night we had the personnel package of 3TEs and Williams as the lone WR. In this package Thompson and Stevens were on one side and Cook was on the other side with his hand in the dirt. Instead of running over our blocking TEs we try and run the stretch play to Cook's side. What is Palmer trying to do with this package? Williams doesn't command any sort of safety help over the top which means the Steelers can load the box to start with and then you run behind a guy who can't block.

Palmer has got to start putting his playmakers in better positions to make plays. Cook was either on the sideline too much or had his hand in the dirt way too much last night. I don't think we ever saw him isolated to one side split out. I also don't know if Britt was on a limited play count, but several times on key plays he wasn't on the field.

We have talent at the skilled positions. Palmer just has to utilize them better.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I loved setting Thompson and Stevens in the backfield and having them out in front of CJ. I don't recall the play you mention but, I assume, he felt the LBs and S would break towards the side the TEs were going leaving more room on the other side for CJ to get into space.

Cook is recovering from a shoulder injury so may not be 100%. Britt too. I expect both to get more work if they can stay healthy. Cook seem to much more confident now.

I thought having Palmer in the booth resulted in a better game by him.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Honestly, I haven't LOVED Palmers playcalling.. but don't hate it either. He needs to get Cook the ball more.

We've done a ton of 3TE sets, thats not new. Defenses think "3 TEs" they must be running. You run a couple times, let them gain that idea and start packing the box. When that happens, run a PA deep route with our RECEIVING TEs and wa-lah, a big play. I have no idea why Damian was in, he had a decent game though. Kenny/Nate/Kendall may have been tired or needed a break, who knows.

How about that fake bubble screen to CJ that Britt acted like he wiffed on a block, but actually started doing a streak. If it wasn't for the PI he would of had a TD.

4. Raistmagic

Raistmagic Starter

I thought that the offense was improved overall. There will always be plays here and there that we question.

I do still wonder about the lack of Jared Cook in the offense. I really think he should be seeing 10-12 targets a game at least.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Thompson can block.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar