Head Coach thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Clearly Dalton made what I'd call rookie mistakes in that game. He didn't follow his read progressions and sometimes pre-determined where he was gonna throw the ball without looking. In the playoffs, most DC's will look at your tendencies and either try to bait you into making a throw (like the dropped corner he thought was bailing) or take away your first or second options. Young QB's sometimes decide to go outside the offense to make a big play like forget my read progression, I'm gonna take a shot down the field. Dalton has been a lot gutsier this year which is why he's gotten more TD's...but with it more INT's too. It's still a learning process for him.

And I understand the disappointment of losing 3 times in the playoffs one and done but to throw Dalton out as has been suggested is silly. Dalton needs to learn from his mistakes and improve but to have people suggest the 10th best QB by QB rating (for QB's with 400+ attempts) is keeping the team in purgatory is crazy. Are the Giants cutting Eli Manning? The Bengals don't sniff the playoffs with a lesser QB (which 22 teams in the NFL have) but everyone agrees he needs to be MUCH better (along with the rest of the offense).

I'm also amused by Mike Brown now throwing his starting QB under the bus saying he didn't want Dalton, he wanted Kap. This is amusing for several reasons. First, anyone who watched hard Knocks should have seen that Mike Brown does what Mike Brown wants...even if the whole coaching staff and GM disagree with him. He is a very hands on guy and is known for taking guys his staff doesn't always want (like Bud taking VY). And curious he didn't say anything about this when Dalton was outplaying Kap. Looks like a huge possible mistake. If Dalton is better and does well in the playoffs, you can forget the home town discount now and you will pay through the nose to keep him. OR, he doesn't play well and you let him walk...getting to look for a new QB who likely doesn't play as well. Not a smart move by Brown.

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

It's not like 57 is ancient in the head coaching world though. And you gotta think there are only 32 of these jobs and typically only about a handful are available on any given year. And he's only been a legitimate candidate for the past few years.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

3. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

If Zimmer is hired, Paul Guenther will probably be our DC.

[​IMG]

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd be alright with Roman. Quinn, Gruden, & Caldwell are do not wants. Zimmer, Roman, or Whisenhunt - please.

5. TitanBlazer

TitanBlazer Starter

Unlikely. You don't usually have two accomplished guys like that on the same team. Williams would want complete control of the defense and I'm sure Zimmer would want a lot of input on that side of the ball. You would probable have one of Zimmer's assistants from Cincy promoted up to DC (like what KyTitansFan said) and then find a really good established OC.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Most teams use this exact formation to get their best WR singled up or make the strong side an easier read. Also, if they double Green as one might exapect, it should give a back out of the backfield more room (or an underneath crosser). The fact that Green ran a GO is somewhat irrelevant. The West Coast offense is about moving the chains and less about bombing the ball. But all QB's with an AJ Green or Calvin Johnson will sometimes chuck it up and are usually rewarded for it. But that's a QB going off script. That's not the playcall nor the read progression. Of course, the OC tends to get the credit when this DOES work out even though it was the QB going off script.

7. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

8. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Whisenhunt definitely helped at San Diego, but I attribute their turnaround to 1) Firing Norv Turner and 2) Hiring Mike McCoy. McCoy has always been an offensive mind, and he was also a QB coach for a while. Whisenhunt needs to go to Detroit where they have a great offense in place.

Also, Carson Palmer hasn't exactly played great football. 24 TD to 22 picks? 61% completion? That's in the bottom third in the NFL. It's the rest of the team that picked up the slack to win ten games.

9. TitanBlazer

TitanBlazer Starter

I think it is pretty telling when you read Bengal message boards that everyone is panicking about losing Zimmer and praying someone will take Gruden.

Quote from a Cincy fan - "My worst nightmare... losing Zim and keeping Gruden."

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You never are going to tell your QB to NOT look at anyone who is an eligible receiver because you don't know for sure what defense they will call. If they run a cover 2 and you can hit the singled up WR between the flat corner and before the S, he's one of your main options. If they go zero coverage and all out blitz, he might be one of your best options. But for several other defenses which are backed up or in a 'deep shell', it's not a high percentage throw.

So you call a play based on the coverage you anticipate and Dalton knows which read progression to go through based on the play and the expected defense if he has a good pre-snap read. But even with a pre-snap read that plays into the opponent's tendency (looks like what we thought we would get), you still have to read it as the play is going.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar