HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Puck, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

for as good as the upscaling is in the Ps3, I'm not sure there's enough incentive to replace the DVD's with BR

we've purchased very few BR titles to this point
    we do have Planet Earth on BR whch felt like a must own
    but there really aren't any movies I feel like plopping $30 for

sre I plan on adding LotR, Blade Runner, SW (Iv,V,Vi) etc... as soon as the prices drop .. the trick is that more adopters will have to join the clan before prices start to fall

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

There may be no incentive, but in the end, you won't have a choice. The movie industry is moving on to High Def (it's the new fad). TVs, TV Shows, Blu Ray, Video Games are all doing it

You think they will waste money manufacturing high def movies and have it optional? Not happening.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it's not going to happen anytime soon

the simple switch to DTV (digital television) aka the NTSC to ATSC conversion ,has taken twice as long as it should have. What is now a mandate for early 2009 (2/17/2009), was originally set for various points for the last 5 years or so
    and this is a standardized conversion that's been in the works since the early 90's and will not be fully implemented until almost 20 years after the fact
    which (when 'activated') will force (supposedly) everyone in the US to :
    A- get a new HDTV
    B- get a Digital set-top box that will convert D-A for analog sets

sure to be a 'culture shock'

now, you're gonna force them (at nearly the same time) to get new DVD players ? you're joking right ?
    there will still be choice.
    Any movie released on BluRay will still be released in DVD format

we are not about to see an absolute abandonment of the DVD format
    (if that's what you're suggesting)

4. People will be buying DVDs well into the next decade. And I wouldn't be surprised if, by then, there is already a new format that has surpassed Blu-Ray

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

the consumer market tends to always be a format behind the leading technology anyway, so even though early adopters will get some satisfaction from an eventual winner of the HD format war, it probably won't have that large of an impact on the mass consumer markets

if anything, it might drive DVD popularity up do to price drops of an aging and departing format, but it's not going anywhere .... as long as people are buying DVD PLAYERS (which are now less than $50 with Recorders in the $100-$200 range) and DVD movies (dipping into the single digits) the DVD format will continue to live on

in order to truely replace it with Blu-Ray, players will need to dip into the $200 range, titles into the $19.99 range, and recorders with affordable media will need to surface

6. The problem is that there isn't really a big enough leap between DVD and blu-ray to drive a rapid push to upgrade. Yes, it's visible, but not big enough for most people.

On the other hand, there was a huge leap in quality and simplicity going from VHS to DVD. And Laserdisc got leapfrogged.

7. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Yeah...I was in the laserdisc crowd. Still have one of the top Pioneer players in my closet and a big collection of laserdiscs, including the original Star Wars collection. Cannot seem to get myself to dump them, though I have been encouraged to do so.

As much a fan of BR as I am, because I do see the difference in upconverted standard DVD and BR titles, which may be due to having a 73" set to view them on, I also wonder if this is not an interim format.

With flash memory coming down and with online delivery of media growing I wonder if the DVD "killer" in the future might not be simply either be a memory card type of media or a VOD type of service. I have read some reviews of a couple of the ones displayed at CES that are dedicated to only providing HD movies via satellite, but I definitely don't want another dish on my house at this point.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The bandwidth needed for downloadable movies won't be available for a very very long time.

And it will be too easily pirated. And it really isn't on demand, you will have to wait for it.

9. People are already downloading them. Apple seems to have the right plan, though we'll have to see how it works out for them. They aren't in 1080i, but it's still HD.

As for piracy, downloadable movies aren't realyy going to change anything there. People can just pirate the ones on DVD. It's like adding DRM to music to keep people from pirating it. How does that help when regular CDs have no DRM at all and people can just create mp3s from them and share them?

10. I can understand the desire to keep it. My brother bought one and got a bunch of discs. It just sits in a corner collecting dust, but it's also the last original version of the Star Wars trilogy before Lucas did special editions, so they aren't going to get tossed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar