Haynesworth to test free-agent market

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Daves not here, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Get the GM fired? Dude you are crazy. MR has done a great job here so far and last years draft was amazing. You cannot deny there are questions about Haynesworth. He is injury prone, he is a bit reluctant to play when hurt if money is not on the line, he has had attitude issues, and he never gave it his all unitl it was a contract year. All that said, I want to bring him back, but you can't say there are not issues or reasons for a GM to have reservations. Its not a no brainer and that is why people are divided. No matter what happens, you don't fire the GM over this . . . that is too reactionary.

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

This isn't Madden. You don't just plug guys in who should be near as good and it magically happens. Players bust or just become average year after year. I know there are still questions about AL, but his game changing abilities are proven at the NFL level.

As far as what Al's worth, I expect him to be the highest paid NFL defensive player. Only guy who would deserve it more in this free agency market is Ray Lewis....but I don't expect anyone to pay an older LB as much as a top DT in his prime.

Every year the contracts go up. I don't think Jared Allen is the best defensive NFL player, but he's the highest paid I believe. It's mostly about who's next in line for a new contract at any given year. I bet we see Al as the highest paid defensive player.

Oh well, it was mostl fun while it lasted. And interesting to say the least. Adios!

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Bobo.....I don't play Madden and I don't drink the AH kool-aid.

Is he big and fast for his size? - Yes

Is he a top tier DT? - Yes

Is he replaceable? - absolutely!

There are and will be others just as good that come along soon. In fact the way the college machine works these days, within a few years this same discussion will happen again when Fat Al is again just a big old average, fat, tackle.

4. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Absolutely?????????

If he is the best DT in the league then who would we replace him with?

Even to name some guys that may have some of the talent he possesses, it is slim that we land them.

5. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

Sure we can find someone to replace him but I doubt the replacement will get double teamed like Albert did. After Mike R. doesn't get a deal done with Albert maybe he can use all that extra money to get that nose of his straighten up

6. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Don't get me wrong, I hope the Titan's keep him, just not at the expense of him holding the Titans franchise hostage. As Brian Cashman of the Yankees describes his players, they are "assets" of the franchise. This team must try and protect their 53 assets from someone who is trying to divide.

I said he's top tier. Then I said he's replaceable. He's an individual player on a 53 player roster.

I already named 2 draft picks on this thread. Plus the fact we have a new Def. Coordinator......I wouldn't be surprised if we start showing a 3-4 D package once in a while to take advantage of the skills of current players.

Times are a changing......The Kool-Aid is getting warm.

7. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Well at least we signed Bironis:lol:

8. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Titans have deal with Bironas, gulf with Haynesworth

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>The Titans did well to retain kicker Rob Bironas. Jim Wyatt <a href="http://tennessean.com/article/20090218/SPORTS01/90218083/1002/SPORTS" target="_blank">reports the deal</a> is for four years and $12 million, with $5 million guaranteed.</p> <p>It was struck on the eve of the deadline for designating franchise players, and the Titans were expected to use the tag on Bironas if they were unable to sign him. The franchise tag for kickers and punters is worth $2.48 million.</p> <p>On a day when Wyatt reported details of <a href="http://tennessean.com/article/20090218/SPORTS01/90218041/1002/SPORTS" target="_blank">the financial gulf</a> between the team and defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, the Bironas signing qualifies as good news for the team. But there didn't appear to be a scenario where the kicker was not on the 2009 roster.</p> <p>That is not the case, obviously, for Haynesworth, who cannot be franchised because the Titans agreed to easy incentives for him last season in order to get him to play under the $7.25 million franchise tag.</p> <p>I'm confused as to why the Titans would put forth such an insulting offer -- in the four-year, $36 million range. They may not value Haynesworth near what he values himself, but they know the range he's looking for, and they know their numbers aren't close.</p> <p>Haynesworth is believed to want a deal that tops that of Jared Allen, the Vikings defensive end, who last year got a six-year contract averaging $12.2 million a season with $32 million guaranteed.</p> <p>Even with the current gap between the sides, it's not accurate to say Haynesworth will definitely go into free agency. If the Titans make a better offer between now and Feb. 27, he'll ponder it. But there is no reason we know of right now to be optimistic the team will make a big jump and come close to what he wants.</p> <p>The Bironas signing, meanwhile, leaves the Titans in position to use the tag on tight end Bo Scaife. But I expect they will pass, believing $4.462 million is too high a price for him. His agent has already said Scaife intends to check out life as a free agent.</p>

More...

9. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG I'm Winning The Future

It's already starting ... ESPN leading into their commericals by saying this:

"Tennessee had a surprisingly good year last year. See why they may not have a good year next year."

If you can guarantee 5 million for Birones, guarantee 33 million for Haynsworth!

I can't believe this is happening again.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

again? when did it happen last time?

and guaranteeing 5 million vs 33 million is a tad different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar