Hawk and Paul (WRs)- Tennessean.com

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100515/SPORTS01/5150315/2161

Nice read.

Thing is with Williams i can understand if they want to cut him. but idn i like the hawk i think he can be a really good slot receiver; a player somewhat in the mold of DeSean.

either way with hawk who has shown the potential to be a good player.

as a general rule, i dont think its a wise idea to cut a WR heading into his 3rd year - again especially one who has shown flashes and could be deadly running some slant routes

2. kdizzle

kdizzle Camp Fodder

Just give Hawkins a chance to play...I don't understand how the Titans evaluate players sometimes. Lavelle makes some great catches and we don't see him again. Jared Cook makes some great plays and never sees the field again. We can't do much worse than we have at wide receiver the last few years.

Lets mix it up and see who steps up. Britt was solid last year but I'm not liking Nate Washington with his drops and his aversion to being hit. I'm still steaming over the drop versus Indy.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

IMO, the people who continue to say Vince sucks as a QB seem to be content with a guy who got released from the Bears and another who was cast aside by the Steelers at WR. We grabbed Britt last year and could have taken Bryant or Tate this year. We would have been solid at WR for years to come and Young would have had (from a talent perspective) some premium weapons.
    So now we still have Gage and Washington who defenses definitely do NOT fear so they can stack the box and injure our truly special offensive threat. Further if we're not going to pay the man, we should just trade him now for two #1's while his stock his high and he's injury free.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Hawkins won't get on the field (and he may not make the roster) unless he starts running the right routes. It's that simple. He has shown very, very little in his career thus far. I know people criticize Fisher for not getting him on the field more, but I don't blame Fisher for not wanting to put out a player who is going to make dumb mistakes.

Williams is probably gone either way. He has shown nothing at all.

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Just two 1st rounders? No players along with him?

If we, for some reason were dumb enough to trade CJ, we would have to not only get two 1st rounders, but we'd also need to get a legit running back and maybe another player as well.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Maybe i need a break from this board because i get stressed out over stupid comments like this.

WTF does Hawkins have in common with desean Jackson? How is he in that mold? He is about half as fast and has done nothing so far.

Unless there is a guy named desean who has like 10 career catches that is who you are talking about? Jackson has averaged 1000 yards and is maybe the 2nd most explosive player in the league next to CJ. Come on man think!

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I was thinking the same thing. They went to the same school. The similarities end there.

8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

im not talkin from a statistical standpoint. if anything, one starts for his team the other doesn't.

im not saying he deserves to start from what we've seen (the kids had some nasty drops and run some totally OFF routes i.e. ball goes in the other direction).

but he was 2nd team and young was 2nd team too (b4 last year) and when he was on the field (last year) most recently together after some time working w/ each other (again limited) the FEW times he was on the field, he wasnt too bad for a player that just doenst get a chance to play (everyone knows the real game is far different than practice.)

not everyone can be thrust into the lineup and enjoy success. some of the best receivers take a couple years of stability at QB (which we haven't had) and a good run game/o-line for some support, to get in sync w/ an offense

im not sayin he is desean, but i'm sayin he is a shorter, 'slipperier,' speedy receiver who would fit in his category (vs. Britt and Moss type receivers)

Finally, he is entering his 3rd year tough position that 9/10 takes time to get good at (not like RB or LB), all i'm saying is give him a chance; contradictorily to the TENN.com article that seems to put him in the same light as paul.

On the there hand, off course i'd have no problem with Damian becoming a star in his first year.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

They were both unrestricted free agents.

10. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

IDK if you've been watching much NFL network or anything, but its clear to me that the value of draft picks has been going up. Though I wouldn't trade him for anything less, I'm not sure you could get two first round picks for CJ. Elite QBs are being dealt for a single 2nd. Running backs just aren't valuable enough to give up 2 first rounders for. That's too much stock in one player.

And IDK why so many people are riding Lavelle Hawkins jock. He's made a few good grabs, the type of catches NFL players BETTER make. Other then that, he can't seem to impress our coaches enough to beat out the guys we already have. Which doesn't say much. Whoever compared him to DeSean Jackson clearly doesn't know anything about football. DeSean Jackson is a freak.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like him to pan out. But if our coaching staff doesn't think he's got it then snip snip, give Damian a shot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar