Hasselbeck struggling in deficit situations

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans coach Mike Munchak said he’d hoped a week’s worth of first-team reps might benefit quarterback Matt Hasselbeck going into the Minnesota game, but Hasselbeck still struggled at times in the contest.

He threw his third interception in two weeks, and he threw a couple of other passes that should have been picked off. So far this season, Hasselbeck has completed 49-of-79 passes (62 percent) for 436 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. His quarterback rating is 73.6, down from the 82.4 he posted last year.

“He hasn’t played much,” Titans coach Mike Munchak said. “The fact he (hasn’t been) the starter, I was hoping this game would go better for that reason because he had the whole week in practice.

“(But) it’s a tough place to play, no doubt, playing in Minnesota with that crowd noise. They’ve been known for that for a long time.”

Munchak said the fact the Titans have so often been playing from behind isn’t helpful to the quarterbacks.

“When you throw the ball 50 times, which again we didn’t want to have to do against a good pass rush, it makes it hard,” Munchak said. “You can’t drop back that many times.

“We’re putting both our quarterbacks under a lot of pressure to perform, and our receivers, because of the games we’re getting into. It makes it hard. You’re expecting the guy to carry your team and you’re not going to win many games doing that.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. Ryno

Ryno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Munchak definitely aced Fisherspeakology 101.

Ya we're throwing the ball 50 times a game because the o-line can't block and when they actually do block a certain individual dances in the backfield and can't decide which hole he wants to go through. The worst part is those 50 pass attempts are coming from a ridiculous amount of possessions because the offense can't seem to produce more than 5 play drives.

3. SoCalTitan867

SoCalTitan867 Starter

Should be titled "Hasselbeck Struggles In Drop Back Situations." Sorry guys. I can't bear the thought of seeing Kerry Collins sober brother on the field again. And what is Munch saying here, Hasselbeck can't play from behind? Sounds like he's well worth the money, good call FO, good call. Ugh.

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

He struggles in all situations.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

MH has been average his entire career, and was slightly above average last year at 36, so him looking like KFC 2.0. really isn't a surprise. He's a class act and a serviceable back up though, so I wouldn't mind bringing him back next year...for the right price of course.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I like Hasselback but hes done

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

He will have to take a massive pay cut... I think he'd be due around $5mil if we kept him on.

8. SoCalTitan867

SoCalTitan867 Starter

I respect your opinion here but I have to disagree, he's anything but serviceable now. Being a class act is great and all but it doesn't win you games or in his case even keep games close. He can't throw anymore, plain and simple, his career is over. He's not worth the money.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Oh, I thought he's scheduled to be a FA. I'd say he's worth keeping for a 1 million-ish.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I just can't knock Hass. He appears to be trying which is more than I can say foe half the team. And he IS a class act which is more than I can for he QBs we've had for a number of years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar