Has anyone in America looked at Adarius Bowman's numbers?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

ESPN especially, because I know they love to hype guys due to stats anyway. Alright, here's the deal. This time last year everyone knew Calvin Johnson was the man. He was not only touted as the best receiver in the country, but possibly the best player.
    He had everything. Speed, size, and great hands. His quarterback stunk also, and even though his team wasn't good, we somehow all knew his name. Now, I follow GT, and even though I love Calvin, I never thought he was worth the hype. But, the numbers don't lie...do they?

Here are Calvin Johnson's stats over the 3 years that he became a household name:

receiving yards: 2,927
    TD: 27
    YPC: 16.4

Now here are Adarius Bowman's numbers from the last 3 years:

receiving yards: 2,516
    TD: 23
    YPC: 17.3

Height:
    Johnson: 6 ft 4
    Bowman: 6 ft 4

Weight:
    Johnson: 235lbs
    Bowman: 220lbs

Forty Time:
    Johnson: 4.35
    Bowman: 4.48

The only thing seperating these two is speed. However, Bowman did average more yards per catch, so it could be obsolete. I believe Bowman is better at getting open and running routes inside while Calvin many times would just run straight down field.
    Now, I'm not a huge Adarius Bowman fan. I think he's got an attitude problem, but I'm just curious as to why he isn't the most hyped WR in this year's draft. His numbers are better than every other receiver.
    Adarius Bowman is Terrell Owens made-over, I think. Even the personality. He's an inch taller. 2 lbs heavier. If he somehow continues to be such a sleeper, we would be absolutely insane to pass on him at 24.

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I was really interested in Bowman heading into the Senior Bowl. I watched the practices on NFL Network and he couldn't catch a thing. For every pass he caught, he dropped 3. Even when he did catch the ball, he rarely caught it cleanly, and was double-catching passes. He also didn't do a great job of getting separation from the good cornerbacks, especially when compared to Lavelle Hawkins and Eddie Royal.

I'm not sure if something was bothering him that can be fixed, but to my eyes, he dropped from a late 1st round pick to a late 2nd or early 3rd rd pick at the Senior Bowl.

I will say that the QBs still looked his way more than the other receivers in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills (despite the drops) and I heard Henne say that he thought Bowman was the best player on the field.

His individual workouts will be more telling than anything he does at the combine. He could be a good value pick in the 2nd if he is still there.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that's the reason there is no hype around him.

johnson caught everything in his area code, and with ball as his qb NOTHING was on target, which gave him lots of opportunities to make circus catches.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I can't say much about Bowman since I didn't see him much, but if his hands aren't that good, then that's a major difference between him and Johnson.

With a team that doesn't rely on the pass as much, hands should be very important.

5. Deuce Wayne

Well, maybe it'll turn out good for him then. Calvin cant catch a cold in the NFL lol. Maybe Adarius can't catch at the senior bowl, but will catch everything in the NFL?
    T.O. doesn't have the best hands either though, and drops many balls. He reminds me of T.O. a lot.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I'm a big Bowman fan. The one area that he is better than CJ or TO is his blocking on running plays. He takes pride in his blocking and I heard one of his coaches talk about the number of pancake blocks he has had.

I was shocked at Bowman's drops at the Senior bowl, but it cold be a blessing in disguise if it drops him to us in the 2nd rnd.

Bowman also played with 3 different QBs in college which makes it more impressive that he had consistently good numbers.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

The thing about Bowman is that he really wasn't even the best receiver on his team. He might have started out that way last year but by the end of the year the best receiver was freshmen Dez Bryant. Not sure how that translates since in two years we will be talking about Dez as one of the best in the draft but in this case numbers are lying. Bowman is a good receiver and will likey be a solid guy in the NFL but he is not anywhere near the talent that CJ is. Nor will he have anything close to the impact.

As a side note, I follow the Big 12 more than any other conference and the two top receivers in that conference were Michael Crabtree who should be mentioned as a Calvin Johnson impact player, infact he might be better than Johnson. The other was Malcom Kelly. Bowman and Sweed are a step below those two but Dez Bryant is a guy that came out of no where and has the talent to be right between Crabtree and Kelly when it is all said and done.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Not true.

9. Deuce Wayne

<--Lions fan. VERY true.

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I'd take snapstats stat of 5 drops in 95 passes (which is not bad at all) over your opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar