Has anyone crate-trained a dog?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Obligatory photo of new puppy: [​IMG]

New puppy, picked him up 2 days ago (and don't have a name for him yet). He is a Samoyed x Retriever and it is suggested we should crate train him.

Has anyone ever done it before? Any advice on how to do it?

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I have.. It involves a bit of patience..
    Do you have any guidelines yet?

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Crate training if the best way to go, IMO.

Expect to be woken up every night for the first week or two...or four. It's like having a baby. Don't rush to save them every time they whine. Letting them out during the night to go pee and such is expected since they have tiny bladders, but incessant whining should be ignored the best you can.

I feed mine in their crate so they don't associate it with something negative. I can say "time for bed" now when I'm going to sleep and they run right in there, turn around, and lay down.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I have two.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Guidelines in what respect?

6. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Gunny, crate training a lamb might be difficult Than a dog

• LOL LOL x 5
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. Fry

Glad I'm not the only who thought it was some kind of livestock.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

We haven't got the crate yet so he's been sleeping in the laundy and cries all night. I feel bad for him but if he stays in the room he's doesn't sleep and I don't trust him not to chew or poo on anything he shouldn't. Once we have the crate and he is used to it, happy with it, we might put it in the bedroom.

We take him outside as much as we can and try to encourage him to pee/poo outside.

I have read that feeding them in their crate is a good way to do it which is what I think we will do.

What kind of dog do you have and how long did it take for yours to get used to the crate.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You're killing me Eston.

10. Fry

My family has had dogs for as long as I can remember and all but one was crate trained. The one that was not crate trained would scream the entire night to the point of losing his voice. My parents put him in bed with them and he stopped immediately. He was also really good about not going poo/pee in the house, even as a puppy, so they lucked out with him.

We required them to be in their crates for a year and after that we left the crates out. If they kept going in them at night we'd leave them out and if they didn't bother with it we put them away. It's not a bad idea to leave it out for a "safe place" if they still use it after a year.

We always put the crate in someone's room. Seems to make it easier. We tried the garage and that was a miserable failure.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar