Harvin and Tate...Oy Vei!!!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Gut, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I'm really surprised no one has brought this up, so I'll give you my breakdown of the situation and the science and rationale behind my thinking.

THC attaches itself in fat cells in your body. The less fat you have, the less amount of time THC will show up in your system.

For example, my buddy, who was an athlete (a swimmer at that), had a drug test and had smoked 7 days before his test and he passed the drug test. Most people think that you need 30 days before THC is not detected in your system. This is not true.

Besides using masking agents, which are tested for in most drug tests, the best way to rid yourself of THC is to work out and (forgive my language) go #2 as much as possible.

I assume that Percy Harvin, being a potential first round NFL draft pick is a gymrat. I bet he spends 2-3 hours a day working out and if hes not working out, i guarantee you he's not on the sofa eatin potato chips all the time. Maybe he was... when he gettin stoned, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt that 99% of the time he is being active, in which case... your body is burning calories.. in which you will be burning the THC outta your body.

On a personal note, I went to Amsterdam a while back and visited the coffeeshops and 2 weeks after I arrived back to america, low and behold, I was conveniently/randomly drug tested for something I did legally in another country. I tend to do alot of walking and I try to stay as active and play alot of sports so 14 days after I had last smoked, I did the drug test.. and guess what... my test came up negative.

Conclusion... I personally think Percy Harvin was smoking bud less than a week before his drug test. Politically and Morally, we need to end the prohibition in regards to this plant. However, as a Titans Fan, this bothers me.

Why? It bothers me because he hasnt even signed a contract and he blatently disregards the fact that an organization is going to take a chance on him, pay him millions, and he isn't even going to adhear to the rules. I mean seriously.. All he had to do is stop for a week.

He could be an awesome player but I want guys who are dedicated and put the team first rather than guys that put themselves first. I know this is pothead blasphemy... but its true.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. 5150

5150 Guest

so you're saying that this is why Ricky Williams has slimmed down so much?

Draft him in the first round Titans!!!!! If we're lucky they're the ones who leaked it so he would drop to him. As a police officer, by no means am I advocating the use of drugs, but are we kidding ourselves here?? I'd be willing to bet 75% of the league has smoked or is still smoking weed. By no means am I downplaying it, yes it's pretty darn stupid to do that in the area of the biggest job interview of your life. Let's not forget who we're dealing with here athletes. I mean we could go on forever listing stupid things athletes do and will continue to do.

If the Titans are too stupid to sign Boldin then at least draft this guy. But we all know that they'll let Boldin go and still not draft a WR in the first round. Get ready to hear some guy from some small school that hasn't played against real competition. We all love Finnegan, but that was definitely a lucky pull. Conneticut would would be in that group of small schools.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Okay. I get the point of the list, but a lot of these guys have other major issues other than the weed, and they just used it as a coping mechanism. Barrett Robbins, for instance. Weed wasn't his problem. Manic depression is. He drank, too. Both were to deal with the problem.

Where's Warren Sapp?

Usain Bolt?! Are you kidding me? What do you think real Jamaicans do? Please....

Not all these athletes support your hypothesis, either. As Puck said, it didn't keep them from reaching elite status...at all.

My opinion is that drug doesn't change your personality. If you're an @$$, well, chances are you were that way anyway.

Now, cocaine, smack?...yeah, those will make you into a different cat.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug....

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

"I like the cut of your jib, sir." - Monty Burns

Just saying 5150, intersting take from an officer, and it's bold you said it. I think I'm going to rep you for that.

TitansErick echoes a point a lot have made, namely, being too arrogant to slow down enough to go under the radar. Answer the questions truthfully, but don't test positive. I posted a while back when the news first came out an athlete of his caliber, with metabolism turned on, ahem, "high", would have to be smoking A LOT to get caught.

This is an interesting position. Titans wouldn't really surprise me with misdirection here and taking him, or trading back up in the second to get him.
    But for me to be convinced, which is impossible to know ahead of time, Harvin would have to come to Nashville and never come up in the headlines negatively. I can be sold on the fact that he will be a hard-working player dedicated to football, BUT, he would have to not smoke during the season because (I'm assuming) he already has one strike, and as a result, will be randomly tested.

The team that ends up with him can only hope this will cause him to stay out of trouble during the season.

Back to the Titans for a moment: I'll say, despite the rhetoric, our team has taken some players that you would have to have to some large concerns over, and we erred on the side of potential (looking at you Bernard, Vince Paul and LenDale) rather than caution. Given they Vegas high-rolled picks #3 and #6 in '06 and '05, I'm not sure they, upon further review, give a real crap.

Consider the money involved: Pick #30 won't make as much money as CJ last year, 5 years, $12M, $7M roughly guaranteed. That means a player like Harvin, say, would barely average more than $2M per season.

We paid Carr $2M per season to handle KOR and start CB for 2 games.

In that context, would Harvin be worth it if he did what Carr did and made a few catches and runs along the way? As a player, on the field, yes. If he lasted 3 years, mathematically, it would be worth it. Yes, I am devilishly advocating over here.

In the end, I'd say the forecast calls for only a 20-30% chance of Harvin on draft day. I think the Titans have others rated ahead if they fell, others rated higher for character, perhaps being a "true" WR, but I think Harvin is still an option in their back pocket, if no better options can be worked out.

Myself, I can see the Ravens in one, Raiders in two, being very interested, beyond the Jets, who I think are looking at QB now.

5. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I went to high school and played ball with a guy that smoked and slang the stuff. He was 17 and he knew how to get the stuff to get around any drug test. So you're telling me he could do it, but a well connected athlete such as Harvin couldn't get his hands on the stuff to beat the test?

Once again, for the half dozen posters who I don't have time to quote, it's not the fact that he smoked weed. I agree that most NFL players probably do. The problem is, he isn't smart enough, or doesn't care enough, to avoid testing positive. Once he is drafted, if he tests positive for the stuff, he will be suspended. That's the rule. He's a good ball player, but if he's too arrogant and selfish to avoid testing positive, he won't ever be on the field long enough to accomplish anything. And this time, he knew the test was coming!!! The NFL isn't going to give him three months of forewarning before the next time they test him.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I know quite a few Jamaicans that don't smoke. Usain Bolt supposedly doesn't, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Most Jamaicans smoke, but then again- so do most Americans.

7. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

As much as I think it should be legalized, the fact of the matter is.. it isn't legal. I just don't want him draggin the titans franchise through the mud if he gets caught doing it again.

He obviously doesn't care to take measures to pass a drug test (i.e. Stop doing it) for the biggest job interview in his life... he can't be a responsible team player.

I personally think the DUIs from notable Titans are bigger offernses in my book (McNair, Kearse, etc etc) that we're just kinda just brushed off because alot of people get DUIs and alcohol is legal.

But in the media eye, being caught with illegal drugs is just bad PR that will be drawn out longer than any Brett Farve retirement or Terrell Owens suicide watch on ESPN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar