Harper Says Things Need to Change for Titans to be the Best

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

EXACTLY. I'm wondering why everyone is knocking Kerry for that pass. It was the perfect play on his part, the rush was coming and he had to let it go. He had 3 options, which would be best?

1. Take the sack, be on the 50 and try to punt inside the 10. In this case we have to make it through a possible KFC fumble, or botched punt or punt return
    2. Throw the ball away. He was inside the pocket so throwing it away would be tough, but if he could, I guess we go for it on 4th down again?
    3. Give a receiver a chance to make a play. The INT was JUST LIKE A PUNT. I guess KFC was wrong to assume that Jmac would read the defense and turn around.

I'm very critical of this offense, and we STILL need a playmaking receiver to be competitive in the playoffs imo in case we have a bad day in the penalty/turnover category like we did Saturday, but our offense PLAYED GREAT Saturday. The single player errors are what kept points off the board. We moved the ball as well as anyone has against this Baltimore defense all year long.

But, all in all, Kerry was our offensive MVP once CJ got hurt. He played magnificent, mistake free football. If not for the fumbles by Lendale and Alge, we'd all be talking about how GREAT he played. Exactly what we've asked of him all year long.

• High Five High Five x 5
  2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Penalties and turnovers......the marks of a well-coached, disciplined team. I believe that is what Harper is referring to.

Off topic; but LenDale White has got to be the lightest and softest 245 lbs ever. He never seems to get a head of steam going and has no push, he is not the battering ram to compliment CJ.

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

BOTH of Collins' interceptions were boneheaded throws. Particularly the first one. I knew something bad was going to happen as soon as that pass left his hands. He lobbed it and didn't even need to.

With all that said, he otherwise played a great game. I have nothing bad overall to say about Collins. He has done a great job for us and I hope to see him back next year. He just needs to not make those boneheaded throws that he did.
    He and Gage were just gashing Balti's secondary; to the point that hopefully that will give both of those two some momentum chemistry-wise, going into next season. Cut JMac, put BJ in spot 2, and let Hawk run the slot for the time being.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

There was only one, If I'm remembering right.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

We had four turnovers. Two fumbles and two picks I thought. If you're right and there was only one, what was the fourth turnover?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Let's be honest though. How many Baltimore interceptions get returned for TD's. We were lucky it turned out to be a punt. We were just lucky. It could have been the play of the game. It speaks volumes about how we played and approached the game. We should have played safe. We didn't. We gambled. We were carless. It's decision making. This was not the team we should have been lobbing up jump balls too. Especially with our WR's...

7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Penalties-Yes, Turnovers-Not So Much. It would have been different if Collins had thrown three INTs because of poor decision making, but his lone INT was the right throw in my book. Also, those two fumbles do not reflect on coaching. Fumbles are largely a product of luck, not good or bad coaching. Interceptions are a product of good defensive coaching.

“Fumbles are a random occurrence,” Schwartz said he told Belichick. “Being able to get interceptions or not throw interceptions has a high correlation with good teams. But over the course of a year, good teams don’t fumble any more or less than bad teams. Bill didn’t agree. He said, ‘No, good teams don’t fumble the ball.’ But actually, they fumble just as often as bad teams.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html

And, I completely agree on LenDale. I say we trade him and pick up Derrick Ward off the FA wire.

8. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

One of those INTs was a 3rd down play where the Ravens ended up with ball on the 10....which is better than 20 they would have gotten if we punted it. I believe were out of field goal range. I think it was the one at end of the first half, would of been nice to score but not that bad.

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Sickening statboard to have a loss

Balt Tenn
    1st Downs 9 21
    Rushing 3 4
    Passing 5 16
    Penalty 1 1
    3rd-Down Conversions 3-13 4-14
    4th-Down Conversions 0-0 0-2
    Punts-Average 8-42.8 4-53.2
    Return Yards 47 112
    Punts-Returns 1-29 3-8
    Kickoffs-Returns 1-15 4-104
    Int.-Returns 1-3 0-0
    Penalties-Yards 8-40 12-89
    Fumbles-Lost 0-0 5-2
    Time Of Pos. 25:53 34:07

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

There were three.
    Collins INT
    White Fumble
    Crumpler Fumble

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar